Hardwood ends, $0.65 per cubic foot? And what is weight per cubic foot of hardwoods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I just split several of these oak blocks and checked them with a MM ("General" brand from Lowes) and a small minority of lighter blocks had a moisture content just under 20%. The majority are in the mid 20s with several of the heaviest blocks at 26-28%.

Just to test them out, I threw several random blocks in the Fireview on a large bed of hot coals (I'm burning a mix of kiln dried oak ends and 1 1/2 year seasoned Ash) with a stove top temp of 400. Man, did they ever light up and heat up nice! In 30-40 minutes stove top temp was at 600. I'm running out of the seasoned ash, and the four cords of mixed cherry, maple, ash and locust I managed to C/S/S this summer is averaging low to mid 20s on the MM.

If oak with MC in the mid 20s burns this nice and hot, I can't wait to have some seasoned oak in the stacks.

Anything wrong with standing these up around the stove to dry a bit if I rotate them and don't leave them there too long? Anything wrong with burning any of this now, given an average MC of low to mid 20s?

Attachments

• pallet oak.jpg
    pallet oak.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 170
Not knowing how accurate the MM is,
your burn test may be the best thing to answer your question.

If it burns OK, then 'd say it's ready to go.
Just think how well it's gonna burn next year if it is the teens moisture.
If you can wait, I would :)

Check the chimney in a month, clean if needed , it will give you some good feedback ;)

Stack them up around the stove for fun. Not going to be a great reduction of MC in the center over a few days there, few weeks would help though.

Not knowing how accurate the MM is,
your burn test may be the best thing to answer your question.

If it burns OK, then 'd say it's ready to go.

I stacked these 9 months ago now, so they have seasoned a bit, and they're not large pieces. They seem to be burning surprisingly well, no hissing.

Check the chimney in a month, clean if needed , it will give you some good feedback ;)

I had the chimney professionally done for the first time last month. They got 1 to 2 quarts of dry flaky creosote out of it, said it wasn't bad at all. Now that I've seen it done, I'm going to pick up the brush set and do it in early January.

Stack them up around the stove for fun. Not going to be a great reduction of MC in the center over a few days there, few weeks would help though.

Ok, thanks.

Stacking like you are I would add stickers ( thing cut strips between the rows) to aid drying air flow cut smooth like that nothing can get between the tops and bottoms of each row. Cross stacking would be another way but eats a ton space which looks to be at a premium for you.

Definitely the biggest problem with these is the stacking. I would also split them before stacking just so they would dry better and quicker. We have a neighbor that burns blocks like this and does well with them.

I made the mistake of stacking it too tight when I got it to the property (bought it in the spring). It wasn't "wet" but it was still pretty green I imagine. Either way I didn't leave enough room for the blocks to breath. When I started picking away at the pile the following spring there was some serious mold on a few pieces.
Thanks for the heads up. I will be de-stacking my D4S hardwood stack.

Brian thanks for updating the thread. Nice to see these blocks are burning well. Realstone, hope your stack is ok - definitely worth double checking. If I pick up these blocks now they'll just get tossed in a pile, or I mix a bunch in with the other stacks.

FWIW last winter I brought 30 or so nice dry pieces inside to weigh down some pine t&g ceiling boards that I had stacked to acclimate (wouldn't be able to install the t&g for a while it turned out). Just burning these blocks up now and they make a crazy nice fire.

Reactions: Realstone
Status
Not open for further replies.