1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hardwood Flooring

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by hardwood715, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Next to my offices they are renovating and adding 6 floors of apartments, noticed the junkyard behind the building(scrap stuff) is turning from metal now to wood. Lots of red oak flooring scraps, was gonna try to salvage good stuff, could be enough for a living room floor, lots of shorts though, then the lightbulb went off, wonder if this stuff burns good, anybody burn this stuff, I used to haul this stuff over the northeast and remember having to acclimate it to the buildings, moisture content somewhere in the low 20s, does that sound right??? gonna be alot of it from the pile there now, and when they delivered it recently!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We just had new, white oak floors installed downstairs. Lots of scraps. I told the floor guy I wanted to keep them. No problem he replied, want more? Sure! When he showed up to start sanding the floors he brought me lots of scraps. They burn great, and hot. Just don't overload the stove as this stuff is dry <8% moisture.
  3. hardwood715

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Good news! Thanks for the reply, I dont know where I came up with the low 20s # below 10 sounds more like it, I'm gonna load some up after work!
  4. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    Is it unfinished? Id be leary if it has been presealed or has a finish on it. Is it 1X6 or ????. would probably be good for kindling but Iwouldnt try to fill the firebox with it.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good point. I assumed unfinished. Our are 3", though we got some 4" scraps too. They actually can make for a good, long lasting fire if they're stacked right. It's cold enough outside that I'm going to be digging into my hardwood stash today.
  6. hardwood715

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Its standard 2 and a quarter by 3/4 unfinished red oak, looks like #1 common or select, big apartment complex, those familiar with poughkeepsie, its the old lucky platt building, cept they added 4 floors to it, in back, 6 storys in back, so far seen 2 tractor trailers inloading flooring.
  7. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Sounds like it should burn great. Just dont overload it!
  8. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Pre-finished burns just fine too.
    I use it to get fires going quick but I ma running out and dont have anymore hardwood flooring projects at the house ....... time for an addition ;)
  9. smirnov3

smirnov3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    Even if it is finished, it may be worth it to run a belt sander down it & then burn it - don't let good wood go to waste!
  10. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Some sealers and stains can be semi toxic when burnt. Shouldnt be a problem in a woodstove but Ive found it does smell funny. ( at least my flood coated Cedar siding scraps did )
  11. hardwood715

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Just did a quick load up in the truck, between the forklifts and bobcat running around over there , noone seems to care- they speak spanish, tried to tell me no good for floor, i say good for stove! most of its ripped or cut but its fine for me! all unfinished, just scapped in a pile, lottsa 2x4s bigger stuff, ill stick with the flooring for now, I will not burn too much at a time, thanks for the tips!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.