hardwood fuel bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfio

Mar 31, 2007
Hi; guy's , just found a new product . there similar to the bio bricks but there made from hard wood . There on ebay. pic up only .$190 a ton. what do you think ?

HOWA BOUTA LINKA!

wxman said:
HOWA BOUTA LINKA!
Isn't that a place in Hawaii?Would they even use fuel bricks there?

I would try a single pack at $4.50 + shipping first. Best to find out what is the delivery charge on one ton to your zipcode.

BeGreen said:
I would try a single pack at $4.50 + shipping first. Best to find out what is the delivery charge on one ton to your zipcode.

Yes begreen; I know what you mean , the shipping would probably kill . the problem is that none of these products are made in the east . Not including the biobricks from CT . they are the closest to my location . It sounds like a good product to me . keep us posted if you try them .

alfio said:
BeGreen said:

Yes begreen; I know what you mean , the shipping would probably kill . the problem is that none of these products are made in the east . Not including the biobricks from CT . they are the closest to my location . It sounds like a good product to me . keep us posted if you try them .

don't know if you seen it, but the ad says pick up only, no shipping .

from the ad:

This item is available for local pickup, or we will get a rate for you for Freight shipment before you bid.
For rates please contact us with the zipcode of your local delivery location (*residential delivery is expensive!)
If you have a local business that will accept a shipment at their loading dock this will make your shipping more reasonable.

BeGreen said:
from the ad:

This item is available for local pickup, or we will get a rate for you for Freight shipment before you bid.
For rates please contact us with the zipcode of your local delivery location (*residential delivery is expensive!)
If you have a local business that will accept a shipment at their loading dock this will make your shipping more reasonable.

Tanks Begreen; I must have misted when read the ad .

My parents have a place near Benzonia, I'll be there for July 4th. Maybe I'll grab a bag.

alfio said:
BioPellet said:
alfio said:
wxman said:
HOWA BOUTA LINKA!

Here is the web address.

http://stores.ebay.com/FIRE-and-ICE-Supplies

Hey, I sold the guy the briquetting press!!!

Hi, biopellet; did not mean to back stab , but just looking for a chipper alternatives + there made from hard wood , witch is supposedly bater to burn in a wood stove.

No No No , I love it! I want to see others making bricks!

I would like to point out though that the bricks I make in CT are hardwood, and that if they were softwood they would have MORE energy per lb and generally less ash. It is not the case that a hardwood brick is better. Once wood goes thru the densifcation process a hardwood brick is very similar in density to a softwood brick. It makes them both the same....

As Bio mentions, bricks are somewhat like pellets in that the wood type matters very little. In effect, softwood is made into hardwood once it is packed denser.

In terms of Energy Logs, the market (as Bio mentions) is vast and eventually there will be numerous manufacturers in every area with decent raw material. As long as the price can stay approx the same as pellet fuel things will be rosy... and even at higher prices there is a decent market in urban areas, etc.

I should add that the night before last we burned the last of the bio-bricks in a different way. As an experiment, I filled the stove with bricks while it was cold. I put in 15 bricks, which made me a bit nervous, because of the potential for a runaway stove with all that fuel. But I packed them in tightly and each row was oriented the opposite of the one below it to reduce air passages between bricks and the layers.

Then I started a small fire with kindling in front of the BioBrick wall. It was slower starting, but after 30 minutes the bricks were starting to burn well in the front middle. However, as Thomas had told me, the stove never went out of control. Within an hour it "looked" like all the bricks on the surface were burning, but the back lower bricks were not. This meant a very controllable fire. I started the fire at 7pm and went to bed at 1 am. The stove was still burning with good secondaries and at 550 at 1am. And when I came down the next morning the heat fan was still spinning and the stove was at 175 degrees. There were lots of coals that started glowing as soon as I opened up the air damper.

I wish I had a recording stove thermometer for these tests, but this is the first time that I have gotten a 5+ hr. sustained over 500 degree fire from compressed fuel without me doing anything more than dampering it down once the fuel is burning strongly and stove temps are over 500. The unique sizing of the BioBricks allows one to pack the stove much better which slows down the burn. Now I if only we can get them made on the left coast....

BeGreen said:
I should add that the night before last we burned the last of the bio-bricks in a different way. As an experiment, I filled the stove with bricks while it was cold. I put in 15 bricks, which made me a bit nervous, because of the potential for a runaway stove with all that fuel. But I packed them in tightly and each row was oriented the opposite of the one below it to reduce air passages between bricks and the layers.

Then I started a small fire with kindling in front of the BioBrick wall. It was slower starting, but after 30 minutes the bricks were starting to burn well in the front middle. However, as Thomas had told me, the stove never went out of control. Within an hour it "looked" like all the bricks on the surface were burning, but the back lower bricks were not. This meant a very controllable fire. I started the fire at 7pm and went to bed at 1 am. The stove was still burning with good secondaries and at 550 at 1am. And when I came down the next morning the heat fan was still spinning and the stove was at 175 degrees. There were lots of coals that started glowing as soon as I opened up the air damper.

I wish I had a recording stove thermometer for these tests, but this is the first time that I have gotten a 5+ hr. sustained over 500 degree fire from compressed fuel without me doing anything more than dampering it down once the fuel is burning strongly and stove temps are over 500. The unique sizing of the BioBricks allows one to pack the stove much better which slows down the burn. Now I if only we can get them made on the left coast....

Fireplace products (Regency) just approved my fuel in their stoves......

so what does a press go for?

do you offer any startup tips for new business owners - like a steady stream of raw material for instance?

I don't suppose that can take treeservice chipper waste?

-Dan

Bio can probably answer to you personally - and I know very little...but my guess...

You'd need a hammermill to turn those chips into finer material.

BUT, there are many sources of sawdust already in the form to put into certain log machines. Biobricks may need finer material, at least the logs look that way - the raw material must be powdered pretty fine....

but obviously bio knows a LOT more...

Status
Not open for further replies.