Hardwood heat aka hamer's pellet length ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
I kept a Pennington pellet that is 3.75 inches long.

OMV, Do you have a scale? Shift thru a bag and save up about .4 pounds of them. That puts them out of spec. If there is a number on the bag to contact. I'd say sick em! They need to know we are smart enough to check the spec's and when they are running out of spec. They will here it from us. PFI is supposed to be the police, But MIA as usual. So we must police this. Many souls have issues with long pellets. And if they have the PFI label. They should be in spec! Period.

I'm still waiting for PFI to show their worth. Have been since day one! So far its just a label on the bag. And with all the stuff we see hitting the market. Its more worthless than anything else. Adding money to the cost of pellets without doing a darned thing IMHO! No watch dog, No keeping these mills in spec. No nothing! :red:

j-takeman said:
OMV, Do you have a scale? Shift thru a bag and save up about 4 pounds of them. That puts them out of spec. If there is a number on the bag to contact. I'd say sick em! They need to know we are smart enough to check the spec's and when they are running out of spec. They will here it from us. PFI is supposed to be the police, But MIA as usual. So we must police this. Many souls have issues with long pellets. And if they have the PFI label. They should be in spec! Period.

I'm still waiting for PFI to show their worth. Have been since day one! So far its just a label on the bag. And with all the stuff we see hitting the market. Its more worthless than anything else. Adding money to the cost of pellets without doing a darned thing IMHO! No watch dog, No keeping these mills in spec. No nothing! :red:

so i am looking for everything over 1 1/2 " ? i havent had any issues yet because of this but im conifident i could easily get .4 lbs of + 1 1/2.
On a 2nd note i am very pleased with the replies i have received from Hamers on any questions i have had So im not looking to go on any attack as i have alot of respect for companies that take the time to reply to emails and quickly i might add.

also these things burn HOT for the 207 i paid its crazy ....who wants to buy some green supreme LOL

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
OMV, Do you have a scale? Shift thru a bag and save up about 4 pounds of them. That puts them out of spec. If there is a number on the bag to contact. I'd say sick em! They need to know we are smart enough to check the spec's and when they are running out of spec. They will here it from us. PFI is supposed to be the police, But MIA as usual. So we must police this. Many souls have issues with long pellets. And if they have the PFI label. They should be in spec! Period.

so i am looking for everything over 1 1/2 " ? i havent had any issues yet because of this but im conifident i could easily get 4 lbs of + 1 1/2.
On a 2nd note i am very pleased with the replies i have received from Hamers on any questions i have had So im not looking to go on any attack as i have alot of respect for companies that take the time to reply to emails and quickly i might add.

also these things burn HOT for the 207 i paid its crazy ....who wants to buy some green supreme LOL

Anything over 1 1/2 inches is out of spec. And its .4 pounds(sorry). Some stoves don't have issues with long fuel. But there are some that would be stuck with auger jams and such. Only reason I'd make a stink.

Best case for you making the stink is they send you credit or something. But the worst case if nothing is said, They will continue and someone will get stuck with something that doesn't run in there stove. I have also had good luck with Hamers. But if they put a label that has specs on the bag. They should at least hold the specs in the bag. No excuse on there part to go out of spec! Just saying!

Oh, They would probably burn hotter if they were no pellets in there over 1 1/2 inches. Shorter fuel fills the auger flights with more volume. You'd get more weight in the burn pot. A long pellet takes up more room and has more air gaps where a shorter pellet can all bunch together and fit more in the flight. Again just saying! Want proof? Take a bag and break every pellet to under 1/2 inches. See the result with you own eyes. BTDT! ;-)

understood, firing off an email...

Hamer replied already first thing this morning, gotta love that

Status
Not open for further replies.