Hardwood vs Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Called Home Depot down in Waterville ,Maine today <40 miles> out of curiousity for price & availability of pellets . They had both & said they were the same price . Does that seem right ? Also read somewhere, i think on here, that burning softwood was more efficient as far as output of BTU's . Correct ? Thanks guys , Muss P.S. Price there was way cheaper, bout a $1 a bag but alas, with the price of gas & a max of 1500 payload in my pick up bed makes it a wash compared to Tractor Supply

Muss,
I saw in another thread that you are new to burning pellets. My best advice regardless of hardwood / softwood is do not buy a large quantity until you have tested the brand to see how well you like them. One person will tell you it is a good brand and someone else will come along and tell you that they burned like crap in their stove. I was one that bought 4 tons of pellets that some people love only to find that I get better results from others.

Don't get hung up on the hardwood/softwood aspect. You're buying by the weight, not the cord. Go with what works best for you. I tried hardwood earlier this year & wasn't overly impressed. Moisture,BTU, and ash content is more important.

BubbRubb said:
Muss,
I saw in another thread that you are new to burning pellets. My best advice regardless of hardwood / softwood is do not buy a large quantity until you have tested the brand to see how well you like them. One person will tell you it is a good brand and someone else will come along and tell you that they burned like crap in their stove. I was one that bought 4 tons of pellets that some people love only to find that I get better results from others.

I couldn't agree more!!!

Ditto Muss, get what works with your set up. And don't get too impressed with what you get that works well for you from one manufacturer lot to lot, pellets change even then. Buy a few bags, if it works well, go back for a pallet or two of the same lot. Although I'm partial to softwood, I like the way they smell (has nothing to do with quality, I just like pine tree smell!). Best of luck with your stove, you know where to go for the best advice anywhere, so that is a good thing.

Hey Muss,
I currently have pellets available out of my Bangor facility not sure if it would help you or not but you can call me if you have any questions 207/542-0834

Status
Not open for further replies.