Hardwood Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Another shot of cold air coming in from the land of GETFA (Canada) so get your best wood ready. Smokin thats firewood! :vampire:

zap

Attachments

• sav.jpg
    sav.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 405
Please tell me that is THIS week's map, Zap, not NEXT.

We got about 8" here, and now the wind is starting again. Upside down farenheights coming. LOL @ Burning any softwood. I'd have to leave the load door open. Throw in a chunk of aspen/hemlock/pine, take a swig, another chunk, another swig, another chunk, another swig, another . . . what was I doin out here in boiler room anyway . . .?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Please tell me that is THIS week's map, Zap, not NEXT.

We got about 8" here, and now the wind is starting again. Upside down farenheights coming. LOL @ Burning any softwood. I'd have to leave the load door open. Throw in a chunk of aspen/hemlock/pine, take a swig, another chunk, another swig, another chunk, another swig, another . . . what was I doin out here in boiler room anyway . . .?

Looks like part of Saturday will be spent cutting down some sugar maple for n/s loading and filling the wood racks. Cold weather until February?

zap

Oh boy! 18" on snow on the ground and a cold shot coming. I hope it isn't to cold till Feb. If I was 3 years ahead it would be okay...

We've got a foot here in NNJ and it took me 4 hours to dig out my long drive. If the wind kicks up, this light snow is gonna drift right back over what I just did.

This is really cutting into my scrounging.

PapaDave said:
Well, there goes my shot at using less wood this winter.

PapaDave, that is what I am thinking also.

zap

Bring it on, I'm ready!

quads said:
Bring it on, I'm ready!
Quads you have all that nice oak. Do you have much snow?

zap

EatenByLimestone said:
There's lots of CO2 stored in my back yard I'm ready to release.

Matt

Torch it up.

zap

zapny said:
Another shot of cold air coming in from the land of GETFA (Canada) so get your best wood ready. Smokin thats firewood! :vampire:

zap
I would like to say your maps sucks, but they always seem to be head on!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

At least it appears the worst of the cold will aim more towards smokin's house, rather than plunge deep into the South and the Southwest. Many fruits and vegetables are grown in California, southern Texas and Florida this time of the year.

You will save the Fruits Smokin!

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

At least it appears the worst of the cold will aim more towards smokin's house, rather than plunge deep into the South and the Southwest. Many fruits and vegetables are grown in California, southern Texas and Florida this time of the year.

You will save the Fruits Smokin!

zap

Thanks Makes me feel like pinky of pinky and the brain...

zapny said:
quads said:
Bring it on, I'm ready!
Quads you have all that nice oak. Do you have much snow?

zap
We have about 6" or so on the ground. It's mostly icy and hard, but just soft enough that I get stuck with the trailer loaded behind the ATV when I go off the trail.

When you read the actual forecast it sound more like it will come for most of us on the weekend of next week and not mid-week. However, that changes often in their long-range forecast. Like I stated before, they (accuweather) also predicted this to happen last week and it never came. Maybe this one is bogus too.

Backwoods how do you keep missing this stuff, below 0 wind chills with a south wind here, house about 65 or so.

We put up a snow fence just west of Lake MI. It is a rather tall fence so it not only stops the snow but also holds back the super cold.

15 degree nights in the South and solid sheets of ice all over to blow cold wind across, so it's not much better here.

SO glad we took advantage of some of those warm 40 degree days last week to cut and split this dead hickory @ 20% MC!
It has literally saved my woodburning hide! Talk about just-in-time delivery lol

And another one is laying there for me to get busy on during the next warm-up 24-hour period

Hit 6 above here last night....burrrrrrr. Stove's crankin and we are warm. Mother-in-law called at 10:30 and her furnace was out. She wouldn't come to our house so I had to go over and try to get it going. Couldn't, so I plugged in some electric heaters to get her through the night until the HVAC guy would answer his phone.....68 in her house this morning, not bad, but would have been a lot more comfy in my 73 degree wood burning house :coolsmile:

Attachments

• vws742.jpg
    vws742.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 190
Backwoods Savage said:
However, that changes often in their long-range forecast. Like I stated before, they (accuweather) also predicted this to happen last week and it never came. Maybe this one is bogus too.

Hackuweather is not the most reliable long range weather service. Most of their paid subscriptions are in the NE/Mid-Atlantic and they historically like to blow the trumpet for that area to get ratings and viewers. BTW, do you Yanks not get tired of the eternal snowcover all winter? We got a little over 8 inches Sun night and it doesn't appear to be going away til early next week. Can't get a whole lot of my outdoor work done. I have some piles of splits ready to stack, but they are buried for awhile. Snow is not all that unusual here in the mid-south (probably avg 8-12 inches a year). However, we are not used to it laying on the ground for over a week. That hasn't happened a whole lot in the last 20 years.

Coach B said:
Backwoods Savage said:
However, that changes often in their long-range forecast. Like I stated before, they (accuweather) also predicted this to happen last week and it never came. Maybe this one is bogus too.

Hackuweather is not the most reliable long range weather service. Most of their paid subscriptions are in the NE/Mid-Atlantic and they historically like to blow the trumpet for that area to get ratings and viewers. BTW, do you Yanks not get tired of the eternal snowcover all winter? We got a little over 8 inches Sun night and it doesn't appear to be going away til early next week. Can't get a whole lot of my outdoor work done. I have some piles of splits ready to stack, but they are buried for awhile. Snow is not all that unusual here in the mid-south (probably avg 8-12 inches a year). However, we are not used to it laying on the ground for over a week. That hasn't happened a whole lot in the last 20 years.

I agree with the Hackuweather statement, i like to call them IN-accuweather. they are the KINGS of hyping up storms that 9/10 times go out to sea.

As for eternal snow cover. Most of NH has had barely any snow so far this winter up until yesterdays monster snow storm which left us with anywhere from 12-20+ inches. and let me tell you, I couldn't be happier!

Snowmobiles, skies, snowboards, snow shoes, that's how I don't get tired of it, That's how i get tired WAITING for the snow to Fall! oh and a 4x4 truck and a good snow blower and a cranking hot wood stove help to make it even more enjoyable.

Coldd / schmold ...... as long as it NEVER SNOWS AGAIN. I dont care if its -10 below. Plenty of oak to warm the old bones. :)

Coach B said:
BTW, do you Yanks not get tired of the eternal snowcover all winter? We got a little over 8 inches Sun night and it doesn't appear to be going away til early next week. Can't get a whole lot of my outdoor work done.

This Yank don't get tired of snow cover.

The skis glide smoother.
The logs slide better.

Oh, and lest you forget . . . sidewalk nipples :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.