Hardy H4 (Taco Pump 009) question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shad

Jan 10, 2014
Michigan
Got the Hardy H4 with only one heat zone that runs to a heat exchanger in my furnace. I want to T-into the supply line and run a line to another heat exchanger in my garage. (20ft run to other heat exchanger..40 foot total running back to the return line.) The run from the outdoor boiler now is 30 ft to the indoor furnace. (60 foot total loop.) Will the Taco 009 pump be able to handle this additional run? Has anyone run a similar set up? I would like to avoid adding a second zone and burying additional lines. If the Taco 009 can not handle it can I buy a larger pump? Thanks for any advice..

Water flow will take the path of least resistance. How would you control the flow on this new loop and the existing loop. You need some way of directing btu's to where they are needed without hurting the other.

Forgot to answer the first question.The distance from the OWB to the house is 100 feet. The distance from the two heat exchangers is 20 feet. As you can see thermostat 1 controls the fan, pump, and 24 volt in-line valve ( heat exchanger in attached garage - 500 SF) the primary heat exchanger services the house - 3000 SF. So instead of adding an additional pump my plan is what you see in the diagram. My main question is: does the stock pump have enough pressure to operate both zones using this configuration. This is a Hardy OWB H4. My thoughts are since the only significant resistance is the pipe and heat exchangers it appears it would work. Attached is a diagram.

Sure would appreciate others input.

Attachments

• Inline solenoid.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 270
If the paths through the two heat exchangers were equal resistance, then when valve to garage heater was open half the flow would go through garage heater and half would go through house exchanger.

Since path through garage heater is longer, then when garage is calling it will get less than half the flow (assuming the heat exchangers themselves are approximately equal resistance). This might be plenty for what you need in the garage, or it might not be enough. If it's not enough you'd need another valve to stop flow through the house exchanger when house is not calling for heat. I'd say make plans for adding a valve to shut off the house exchanger if need be, and in the meantime just hook it up the way you've got it drawn, you'll definitely get a fair amount of heat.

The 009 won't care either way. If water flows though both heat exchangers then the 009 will see a little less resistance and will pump a little more water. If house exchanger is shut off when house is not calling for heat the 009 will see more resistance and it will pump less water, but all of it will be going to the garage. The 009 has a tall and steep curve, so if any pump can deal with it the 009 can.

Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas. I will let you all know how it turns out when the project is complete. Thanks again..

Got it all hooked up as explained above and everything works great. The only issue I had was when the pump stopped pumping, the water drained from the heat exchanger in the garage to the lowest point in the system (12 foot rise to new heat exchanger) and air got into the lines. When the pump came back on the air would get trapped and the water would not flow. I put a T valve on the highest point with a Caleffi auto air purge that did not work. There was not enough pressure to push the air out. I pulled the air purge out and just put a standard garden hose valve and manually bled the air. Once all the air was out of the system, it worked like a champ. Now I just keep the Taco pump running continuously so I don't have to purge the air. I may try one of those more expensive in-line air separators to see if that will work. Bottom line is that it keeps the house around 71 and the garage around 60, even when the outside air temp is well below freezing. The heat exchanger is thermostatically controlled, just turning the fan on and off behind the coils. I avoided digging that other trench and avoided hooking up that second zone. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I can posit pictures if anyone is interested as well. Thanks again for the replies and sorry to get back to you all so late.

Status
Not open for further replies.