Harman 3001 insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcerin

Nov 2, 2012
My family is getting ready to purchase a wood insert. We will be heating around 3500 sq ft. We like the Harman 300i. Does anyone have experience they can share. We have been using our fireplace for years but no real experience with stoves. We have a good supply of seasoned red oak and a relatively new mason fireplace. Any advice would be appreciated.

McErins

It's a decent insert from the few reports we get on it, but heating 3500 sq ft seems like a stretch unless this is in Orlando. Note, seasoned oak means split and drying for a couple years.

I know theres a thread with a lot of info on the 3001 freestander, pretty sure they're similar in dimensions, you may need a bigger stove with that size house though, whats the dimensions on your FP?

Thanks for the reply. I only want a stove/insert for supplemental heat and possibly to keep us comfortable in the event of a power outage. I thought that the Harman 300i was rated for up to 4300 sq ft. Our FP is 36 w x 27 h x 26 deep. Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
McErin

I know theres a thread with a lot of info on the 3001 freestander, pretty sure they're similar in dimensions, you may need a bigger stove with that size house though, whats the dimensions on your FP?
I thought that the Harman 300i was rated up to 4300 sq ft. Our FP is about 36 w x 26 d x 27 t. Any thoughts?

I thought that the Harman 300i was rated up to 4300 sq ft. Our FP is about 36 w x 26 d x 27 t. Any thoughts?
Ignore 'ratings', they are meaningless.

It is a 3 cu ft firebox. Depending upon your location, that will heat 2,000-2,500 sq ft. And it could be far less than that depending upon your location, floor plan, and insulation.

Ignore 'ratings', they are meaningless.

It is a 3 cu ft firebox. Depending upon your location, that will heat 2,000-2,500 sq ft. And it could be far less than that depending upon your location, floor plan, and insulation.
We wpould like to stay with an insert. Can we do any better than the Harman, it sticks out 13 inches into the room and we thought that it would radiate heat too. Your thoughts are very mucha appreciated.

We wpould like to stay with an insert. Can we do any better than the Harman, it sticks out 13 inches into the room and we thought that it would radiate heat too. Your thoughts are very mucha appreciated.
At 3,500 square feet, whether you want to heat it all or not, it will still be a challenge.

Where are you located? If you are in a mild climate, then maybe the Harmam will meet you expectations. Otherwise, I would go as large as possible. You might want to look at the Buck Model 91. That is as large as an insert as you will find.

At 3,500 square feet, whether you want to heat it all or not, it will still be a challenge.

Where are you located? If you are in a mild climate, then maybe the Harmam will meet you expectations. Otherwise, I would go as large as possible. You might want to look at the Buck Model 91. That is as large as an insert as you will find.
Northeast TN. Thanks I will take a look at the buck.

From what i understand the 300i is a carbon copy of theTL- 300 converted into an insert. Of course you cant load from the top and there is no ash pan but the performance ratings are about the same. It is a beautiful stove and i am considering putting one
in my living room. I already have the TL-300 in my finished basement. I just think the 300i is a gorgeous stove and would look fantastic in the living room. That 4300 SF has a disclaimer "based on climate and home efficiency".

That 4300 SF has a disclaimer "based on climate and home efficiency".
Exactly. My comments weren't a dig against the stove (not that you thought it was). It's just that sq ft ratings are way over blown for most real world applications.

We really like the looks of the 300i too. I don't think that we will find an insert that will be any better. only other option would be free standing. how easy are the harmans to use?

Exactly. My comments weren't a dig against the stove (not that you thought it was). It's just that sq ft ratings are way over blown for most real world applications.
I am a novice. Is your harman relatively easy to use and control

I am a novice. Is your harman relatively easy to use and control
I do not own a Harman. But I can relate to owning the right size stove for your heating needs.

I just purchased a 300i and it's being installed tomorrow.
The300i is rated @ 74k btu, regency has a stove rated @ 99k btu (3100 i think)

Also, the Harman has "firedome technology", not quite a cat stove but it will require WELL seasoned wood to reap the benefits of this stove and it's 16+ hr burn time

BTU ratings is another thing that should be ignored. Focus on Firebox size. If they both have the same amount of usable firebox, then they will heat about the same amount of space if run at the same temp.

I agree,especially for an insert where the hot air has to be moved by fans.4300Sf is quite a stretch. I have a huge house and it only 3000 Sf .
NO way will my freestanding TL-300 do the whole thing.

Also, the Harman has "firedome technology", not quite a cat stove but it will require WELL seasoned wood to reap the benefits of this stove and it's 16+ hr burn time

Hi there, wondering if you might share your thoughts on your experience with the 300i? It's a beautiful stove and I am seriously considering it (along with the quadrafire 5100). I had just read another review that mentioned trouble with the damper and a backdraft blowing smoke into the living room for 300i. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks

@Hal9000,

This thread is from 2012, it might be best to start a new thread of your own asking questions you have about this stove and it's heating abilities for what your ambitions are.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

@Hal9000,

This thread is from 2012, it might be best to start a new thread of your own asking questions you have about this stove and it's heating abilities for what your ambitions are.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

Thanks! Will do. This is a great site - I will be sure to add my feedback once we finally pull the trigger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.