1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman 502H battery backup vs 512H

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ernest Smith, May 16, 2012.

1. Ernest Smith

Ernest Smith New Member

Loc:
    South of Boston, MA
    I decided to add my photo so you know what I look like. I found someone selling a 502H battery backup and see that the latest seems to be the 512H. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Yes, the "H" denotes a product designed for Harman Stoves. The 502 is designed for manual light stoves and the 512 is designed for stoves with auto ignition
  3. Ernest Smith

Ernest Smith New Member

Loc:
    South of Boston, MA
    Thanks for the info. There is a 502H for sale on the Boston Craigslist for $250.00. I don't know how many times used battery backups show up for sale or if it is a good price. This is not my ad and I do not know the seller. I'm not sure if he would be willing it to ship if someone wants it. I believe the seller is a re-seller of Harman stoves in the Newberryport area because I see a lot of used Harmans for sale on Craigslist in that town.
  4. Val

Val New Member

I would do some research first because in this case it is a "used" electronic device....how old is it anyway? it could be 10 years old. if you look on stove sentry's (or pump sentry) website, you can buy backup units cheaper directly. you can buy pure sine backups like the sf707, instead of modified sine units. Also, you can go to an inverter website and buy a larger watt inverter that has a built in transfer switch and charger. Or buy an inverter by itself and buy a transfer switch separately. The sentry battery backup units are nicely made, they are just small wattage. If you invest in a larger inverter you might use it for other things besides the pellet stove, like backing up a fridge or sump pump.