Harman 52i Feeder Chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danodano9

Jan 12, 2014
House
Did a search and didn't find anything on this. Anyone have a video or instructions on accessing the harman 52i feeder chamber? It is buried behind a lot of stuff and I would like to clean it. All of the videos I have found show it right out in the open, but it is not there on the 52i. Thanks!

Did a search and didn't find anything on this. Anyone have a video or instructions on accessing the harman 52i feeder chamber? It is buried behind a lot of stuff and I would like to clean it. All of the videos I have found show it right out in the open, but it is not there on the 52i. Thanks!

Did you look at page 21 in your owner's manual?

Did you look at page 21 in your owner's manual?
Page 21 doesn't explain how you access the feeder box. The instructions say that they left the exhaust tubing out of the pictures, but there are no instructions for removing the exhaust tubing to gain access to the feeder box. The video for the 52i still shows the older model. Does someone have an updated video of how to access the feeder box on the newer 52i?

i just had your same questions, here's the thread with a lot of helpful info https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pulling-out-the-52i-for-cleaning.141053/#post-1900159

also, there is a video of a guy with a brown enamel 52i, that talks about that feeder box behind the stove, and shows you where it is. If you have small hands, you can get to it, if not, have your wife or someone with small hands get to the box. if not, then you'll have to pull out some fans to get to the box. i also used 2 straws stuck together with my vacuum to get the fines out of the box, (i didnt have any tubing).

Yea its behind the fan on the right side when you pull the unit out. Like said above, if you have a small child they might be able to get to it without taking the fan out. I haven't cleaned mine out yet, but I haven't had any issues. I plan on doing it at the end of the season.

Yea its behind the fan on the right side when you pull the unit out. Like said above, if you have a small child they might be able to get to it without taking the fan out. I haven't cleaned mine out yet, but I haven't had any issues. I plan on doing it at the end of the season.

hey, my only vote for cleaning out the pellet chamber now, is that it does seem to make a difference in how much heat the stove throws. I'm not sure why, but after i vacuumed that sucker out, the stove seemed to throw more heat out, almost as if it were brand new. And i didnt change the pellets I am burning, so the only difference was a clean pellet chamber. I had burned through about 2 tons before cleaning it out, and it was pretty filled with dust. it really doesnt take that long to clean out, but it is a pain in the A__ to get to.

I read somewhere that if you pull the stove further out, you can get to the feed box from the rear of the stove and avoid the exhaust pipe altogether. Maybe he'll pipe in. I have been wondering about the feasibility of using a strong vacuum and create a lot of suction at the bottom of the hopper where the guillotine is. I have tried this twice and hear a bunch of stuff like pellets and fines racing through the vacuum hose. Since the stuff went into the fine box that way, is it logical that you can suck them out the way they went in?

hey, my only vote for cleaning out the pellet chamber now, is that it does seem to make a difference in how much heat the stove throws. I'm not sure why, but after i vacuumed that sucker out, the stove seemed to throw more heat out, almost as if it were brand new. And i didnt change the pellets I am burning, so the only difference was a clean pellet chamber. I had burned through about 2 tons before cleaning it out, and it was pretty filled with dust. it really doesnt take that long to clean out, but it is a pain in the A__ to get to.
I'm just scared to pull the unit out again. That SOB is heavy and I don't have a rail kit. Last time I almost dropped the damn thing on my toe.

My hearth is level with the floor and when a tech came by to pull out my stove and replace a motor, he laid down a couple of two by fours and that did a good job supporting the stove.

I read somewhere that if you pull the stove further out, you can get to the feed box from the rear of the stove and avoid the exhaust pipe altogether. Maybe he'll pipe in.

I know a former Harman technician on another site that recommended that I pull the stove out and lay it on it's face and access the feeder from the back. I bought the rail service kit and this sorta defeats the whole purpose of it in my view. Why have the rail kit if you simply are going to take them off the rails? Plus that just seems to be accident prone. Point is, I do believe you can pull the stove out far enough on the rails and access it like you suggest from the back. But this absolutely means I will have to disconnect the main power connections to the motherboard -- something I didn't want to do. But as long as I have a close up picture of the wires and their corresponding connectors on the motherboard -- and I have no static electricity -- this should be feasible.

The only other option is to find somebody with tiny hands and reach around the combustion motor and underneath the exhaust tube. Or you can try to remove the combustion motor in a tight space designed for hobbit hands. Or you can remove the exhaust tube. Heysus. What a PITA.