Harman 52i runs all day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
think most here are concerned[ maybe overly] about xtra wear and tear of the Igniter..
Harman Igniters I've seen for 69.00 15 fin..
I'll buy/ change my own when time comes.
2.7 cents a day.

2.7 cents a day.

add to that the cup of pellets that feeds into the burnpot and burns away during ignition before the blower comes on or the machine gets up to temp, and the energy lost during the shutdown cycle when the combustion blower runs as the fire decreases....YMMV, but to mock people for doing something completely logical, to save, even 2.7 cents/day, isn't going to earn you anything.
<----is a big fan of manual mode, have been for nearly a decade, thousands of stoves supported.

add to that the cup of pellets that feeds into the burnpot and burns away during ignition before the blower comes on or the machine gets up to temp, and the energy lost during the shutdown cycle when the combustion blower runs as the fire decreases....YMMV, but to mock people for doing something completely logical, to save, even 2.7 cents/day, isn't going to earn you anything.
<----is a big fan of manual mode, have been for nearly a decade, thousands of stoves supported.
Mock? Hardly. Logical? Not really. It's a philosophy and I don't subscribe to it for 2.7 cents a day or a handful of pellets. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

add to that the cup of pellets that feeds into the burnpot and burns away during ignition before the blower comes on or the machine gets up to temp, and the energy lost during the shutdown cycle when the combustion blower runs as the fire decreases....YMMV, but to mock people for doing something completely logical, t save, even 2.7 cents/day, isn't going to earn you anything.
The Igniter is prob one of the cheaper parts to replace in a Harman and possibly many here don't want to call a tech out and end up paying 150.00 service call plus part simply due
to not being able or wanting to try changing the Igniter themselves which is understandable...Not everyone is comfortable working on there cars let alone a pellet stove. This may be a top reason to "Save the Igniter" but for 69.00. I'll do it myself as I stated earlier..
I would rather save pellets since they cost lot more in the long run.

The Igniter is prob one of the cheaper parts to replace in a Harman and possibly many here don't want to call a tech out and end up paying 150.00 service call plus part simply due
to not being able or wanting to try changing the Igniter themselves which is understandable...Not everyone is comfortable working on there cars let alone a pellet stove. This may be a top reason to "Save the Igniter"
It's also one of the easiest. Two high temp wire nuts, a ratchet wrench, a pair of wire cutters and ten minutes tops. Sooner or later the igniter is going to fail. Seven years, ten years, BFD. It has to be replaced. Learn or pay.

It's also one of the easiest. Two high temp wire nuts, a ratchet wrench, a pair of wire cutters and ten minutes tops. Sooner or later the igniter is going to fail. Seven years, ten years, BFD. It has to be replaced. Learn or pay.
do you think those wire caps in the Igniter compartment would be just more stuff to collect the famous dry sandy ash that accumulates in there along with the Igniter and cover?
just spitballin here..

do you think those wire caps in the Igniter compartment would be just more stuff to collect the famous dry sandy ash that accumulates in there along with the Igniter and cover?
just spitballin here..
Had mine in for four months now. Cleaned out the igniter cave many times. Don't even know they are there.

Well, my unscientific observation and my non mathematical approach to running in manual, if nothing else, shows me a fairly long low burn ( in manual) vs a fairly lengthy shut down ( in auto) to just reignite shortly after and watch a huge flame play catch up ..

This is friendly enough, I have no reservations in explaining my view point. If it gets ugly I'm done . F4jock, you said it yourself, basically to each their own !

Reactions: F4jock
Yes your explanation would be supported by my experience as well. At least in theory if it's to be a short shut down then not worth while to me. It's 32 deg out today and my stove is still in room temp manual, the house 73 with long maintenance burns. When the house temp starts climbing in room temp mode to 75 and 76 deg and never leaves the maintenance cycle then I know I need to switch to auto. That's around 39 deg outdoor temp or warmer.. Anyplace in the 20's the stove will never shut down, then manual or auto doesn't much make any difference but I just tend to run in manual most of the time. There was a guy here who had a glitch in his Harman, the igniter got stuck on somehow. Well if it's in manual you don't have to think about that. However, I use auto all through shoulder season.

Last edited:
Id rather have it running all the time. Less thermal cycles more comfortable.

Id rather have it running all the time. Less thermal cycles more comfortable.
so....anyone want to explain your preference with Room/Manual vrs Stove/ Auto since theoretically they both do the same job from different sources[ probe/ESP
since maint burning and never shuting down Key to many of you..

so....anyone want to explain your preference with Room/Manual vrs Stove/ Auto since theoretically they both do the same job from different sources[ probe/ESP
since maint burning and never shuting down Key to many of you..
Nope. Best I can say is try it both ways and get a handle on the conditions you use which one in. Or, if to switch at all.

Reactions: bogieb
I don't think there is room to be seriously concerned about the igniter wear(so I guess I don't really have a phobia?) :) Honestly, I just don't like the constant shutdown and startup on the mid-cold days. I prefer to have it run on maint mode, even for an hour or so vs. a full shutdown. My stove is heating the entire house, so if the family room is at temp per the room sensor, does that mean we don't need heat going upstairs? We only shut it down when we deem no heat is needed in the house (not just the 20ft around the family room)...its just a personal preference - isn't that why the option for manual is there?

I don't think there is room to be seriously concerned about the igniter wear(so I guess I don't really have a phobia?) :) Honestly, I just don't like the constant shutdown and startup on the mid-cold days. I prefer to have it run on maint mode, even for an hour or so vs. a full shutdown. My stove is heating the entire house, so if the family room is at temp per the room sensor, does that mean we don't need heat going upstairs? We only shut it down when we deem no heat is needed in the house (not just the 20ft around the family room)...its just a personal preference - isn't that why the option for manual is there?
Yes.

Agree.
we heat a 2 story house here and although we don't use the upstairs[ 3 beds/bath] until it's bedtime,
nice to keep the heat going up there during the day..
takes too long to re-heat the upper when it's been off even for a day..

Status
Not open for further replies.