Harman Absolute 63 vs Harman XXV TC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bjb4d5

Dec 16, 2019
Kansas
I currently do not own a pellet stove, but have been doing a lot of research and have landed on these two from Harman. I live in KS (winters are cold, but nothing extreme...depends on the year!). I live in a ranch style home that is 3500 square feet. I plan to install this in a finished basement that has an open stairway leading into the rest of the home. Home is currently a little drafty, but nothing horrible. (it was built in the 50's). With all of that said I would like to know which one everyone would recommend? This does not need to be the sole source heater for my home as I am on natural gas.....but the possibility of not having much of a gas bill is oddly satisfying. I don't know anyone who has one, so I wanted to get some honest opinions. Should I look for a used one? Is going new better with warranty? Which one do people like more? Does the XXV really have a squealing noise? (I might have read too much online). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, I just had the same issue as which one to pick, except it was between the XXV and the absolute 43. I ended up purchasing the XXV last week and am waiting for it to come in to pick it up. After asking questions on this site to other more experienced members I received a lot of advice. I was told if it is being installed in a place that it will be seen by you and having company over to get which stove appeals to you the most. In your case a finished basement. As far as the squealing noise I hope that is a thing of the past they made adjustments to fix that. Buying new you get the warranty which is what I bought was new. If it has the noise you can always have someone come out to look at it or search on here for a solution. Good luck in your search let us know what you end up going with. I will post again once mine is installed and let you know how it’s working. Take care

Just my 2 cents. I would recommend a P-series. Still have the tried and true 3 knob board that works extremely well. The touch screen does the same thing as the 3 knob board. The only difference is that if board and screen needs replaces it is probably close to $800 instead of $200-250. P-series are the most functional in my opinion. I have seen touch screen issues already.

Reactions: railfanron
I have an XXV 2014 model. Doesn't squeal but it does make some noise with two fans running and the pellet screw turning.
Don't have anything to compare it except my old wood stove. Noise changes some depending on the flame size and the pellets being dropped. If the flame goes real high the fan speed will increase some to get the heat out of the stove into the room. Still able to watch tv and listen to music in the same room but have to turn the volume up a little. Our heat pump is quieter but when it get colder than 40F outside the pellet stove is preferred.