harman accentra auto ignitor issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter

Nov 23, 2009
It's June so I don't plan on using my pellet stove any time soon, but have a question.

I installed a harman accentra insert last year which pretty much ran 24 hrs a day through out the winter. When I got to the shoulder season I noticed the auto ignitor wasn't igniting the pellets anymore to start the stove (would warm them up, but not get them burning).

Is there some part in particular that needs to be cleaned that I don't know about, or should I call the place I bought it from for a repair job?

thanks!

most are "non contact" igniters , meaning the ignition air is pulled through a hole in the burn pot, locate this hole and get a light and examine inside the hole carefully , ash may have migrated into the hole , if so take a thin wire, or toothpick or similar, and insert it into the hole ream out the air space around the igniter rod then vacuum it out. most problems occur when the igniter sleeve gets obstructed ash can get back in there where its harder to see, and since the obstructed airway doesnt allow the heat to be pulled out to hit the pellets it wont light them. clean airflow is the key to consistant startups. hope this helps ya

EDIT: running 24/7 for long stretches it may need a solid cleaning including the flue, and ash traps behind the firewall, airflow again , one of the first places you see issues with a dirty stove is in the auto igniter as it gets so little air already.

Harman ignitors are crap and get ready to replace yours soon.
If your stove is still under warranty get in touch with your dealer.

Four years and going on the seventh for me...

Sutter said:
It's June so I don't plan on using my pellet stove any time soon, but have a question.

I installed a harman accentra insert last year which pretty much ran 24 hrs a day through out the winter. When I got to the shoulder season I noticed the auto ignitor wasn't igniting the pellets anymore to start the stove (would warm them up, but not get them burning).

Is there some part in particular that needs to be cleaned that I don't know about, or should I call the place I bought it from for a repair job?

thanks!
Seeing as you are new to the stove....I have owned this model for 3 years...
It would be my bet that you have carbon build up in the burnpot....You really have to get a chisel and whack it out....
It is probably so thick the igniter isn't getting the pellets to light.

And I did finally have to replace my ignitor...the nice girl that fixed my stove told me it was one of the crappy Harmen ignitors...I got 3 years out of it...so I shouldn't complain.

thanks for the feedback.

I had given the stove 1 good cleaing somewhere in the winter, by the time it needed another winter was over, and giving it a final good cleaning until next winter just hasn't made it to the top of the to do list.

thanks for the advice, i'll check it out when I finally get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.