Harman Accentra burning too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucerry

Nov 29, 2012
Central Maine
Hi there,

I have a Harman Accentra stove that has been our primary heat source for the past 4 winters (since we bought the house--it was already here)

I've had my ups and downs with the stove over the years, but this year, it's been great. Until I had a fuse blow and had to replace the auger motor about a month ago. Ok, no problem, replaced that without a problem. It also has a new distribution motor as of spring 2013.

It's been crazy cold here in Maine the past 2-3 weeks, so, naturally, the stove has been working hard. However, its output has been beyond warm. I've run it in stove mode for a couple of days, and had it ratcheted down to 1-2 on the knob. The thermostat in the room with the stove says that it has been 74-80 in that room the whole time. Then I tried to move it to room temp (we had run it in room temp for the first 2 years exclusively, and unless we cranked it up to 85 on the room temp mode, it would rarely get above 70). However, lately it's been keeping the room at 78-82, even with the temp knob turned all the way down (55). The probe hasn't moved places.

Today I pulled the whole thing apart, gave it a very thorough cleaning, including wiping down the ESP and, well, cleaning everything I possibly could. Turned it back on, and again the temperature is back up to 83!

I hate to complain about my stove running so well, but I wish it would respond to my request to turn down the heat! There is also occasionally a loud banging noise, that I think may be the auger plate moving back and forth.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I have no error blinking lights, the distribution motor sounds great, the auger is smooth...I just can't figure out what could be causing this issue!

Thanks for your time in reading.

If the same thing is happening in room temp mode then that rules out the ESP*. Sounds to me like a control board issue.

* I will add that while the room temp mode runs off the thermostat for temp it will be using the ESP to control burn. I personaly would be swapping out that cheaper component before doing the whole control board!

Last edited:
where is your Room Sensor Probe located in relationship to the stove?

I ended up replacing the ESP, which did nothing to change the situation. So then we swapped out the control board and voila! Back to normal.

I ended up replacing the ESP, which did nothing to change the situation. So then we swapped out the control board and voila! Back to normal.

Glad you fixed it! I was sure it it was the control board but didn't want you replace it and hen find it wasn't that!

At least you have a spare esp now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.