harman accentra cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbylul

Jan 2, 2010
L.I. New York
Any tips or tricks to doing my yearly cleaning ? I downloaded the procedure from Harmans website, but I was wondering if that is all I need to do to set it up for next year. This is my first year so any help is appreciated. I burned 3.0 tons last winter

Thanks,

Bill

Harman Accentra insert ,8/09install

Take it outside and blow it off with compressed air if possible. I thought I had mine clean after vacuuming very good. Took it outside and put the air hose to it and you would not believe the soot that came out. I looked like Dick VanDilke in mary poppins. HTHs

This is my 1st year with a Harman accentra too. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get it cleaned by the stove shop that installed it. I wasn't home when they installed it, so I don't know what it looks like inside (except for what the brochure illustrates). I havn't even pulled it out all season. I don't know if the flue will spill all kinds of fly ash when the stove comes (unmated) out. I do plan on being home when they clean it so I can get a good feel for doing it next year.

forya said:
This is my 1st year with a Harman accentra too. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get it cleaned by the stove shop that installed it. I wasn't home when they installed it, so I don't know what it looks like inside (except for what the brochure illustrates). I havn't even pulled it out all season. I don't know if the flue will spill all kinds of fly ash when the stove comes (unmated) out. I do plan on being home when they clean it so I can get a good feel for doing it next year.

How does this happen? A stove installed and the dealer doesn't make your first fire for you, set the draft, inspect the stove to make sure it is ok? Did they show you how to clean it?

smwilliamson said:
forya said:

How does this happen? A stove installed and the dealer doesn't make your first fire for you, set the draft, inspect the stove to make sure it is ok? Did they show you how to clean it?

x2 what smwilliamson said, but not only that, but (and Im assuming you have the Accentra Insert) you have burned for a season and have not pulled off the heat exchanger covers OR cleaned the air tubes leading to the combustion blower?! Well, should be done every month or so, otherwise your performance degrades markedly and your stove plugs, particularly the left tube....gonna be a nasty job.....here's a link:

http://homewarmth.com/pdffiles/accentrainsertcleaninginstructions.pdf

good luck

HI louseyweather,
That link for cleaning a accentra insert is great, do you have any such link for an Accentra FS, the one that I have seen don't show how to clean in such detail, like the how to take out the fans and clean them. Any direction would be great, thanks

.............seek and you shall find

Thanks, lousyweather...sorry for miss spelling your name the first time

I don't know if that post was intended for me but I cleaned my heat exchangers and tubes once a week . I was home when they installed my unit but was given just a quick lesson on how to use it . Most of my learning has been through research, this site and trial and error. How important is it to set the draft. I didn't see them use any meters although they might of set it. I wasn't standing over them the whole time. How hard is it to do and how often should you do it? Also, what is the blower trick? Sounds messy!

Thanks again,
Bill

Hi Bill - I just cleaned mine today. It takes me about an hour, maybe hour and 15 mins, but I've done it before. The worst part of the job for me: pulling the insert out and blocking it up. It is on tracks, but it is still very heavy to move on your own, as I have to do.

Follow the owners manual to the letter, and you should be fine. I've done mine for the past few years with no trouble. Watch the wires on the left side when you push the insert back in so they don't get pinched.

I use a powerful contractors-grade wet/dry vac with a drywall filter. To clean the actual vent pipe, I have one of those rotary brushes for a cordless drill - I put the vac at one end and run the cordless from the other and brush the whole pipe from one end to the other. Clean as a whistle, as they say.

shelbylul said:
I don't know if that post was intended for me but I cleaned my heat exchangers and tubes once a week . I was home when they installed my unit but was given just a quick lesson on how to use it . Most of my learning has been through research, this site and trial and error. How important is it to set the draft. I didn't see them use any meters although they might of set it. I wasn't standing over them the whole time. How hard is it to do and how often should you do it? Also, what is the blower trick? Sounds messy!

Thanks again,
Bill

Leaf Blower is the device...vacuum is how it's used...all done at exterior of house.

Use the "Search" feature here for details, videos, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.