Harman Accentra Fines Cover Plate Gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

womaus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2015
Central MA
I've done a good deal of looking through the forum, other searches to see the best way to approach this.

While doing the initial cleaning of my previously owned Accentra I noticed that the gasket on the fines clean out cover plate looked to be a bit tattered. Seeing others state that even just a bit loose this can have an effect on the performance of the stove I think I'd like to replace it.

It appears that these are normally sold two to a pack, two plates and two gaskets. Is there a reason for that? Are these a maintenance item, should be replaced as a unit?

The plate itself looks to be fine...no warpage, no wear. It's the flat gasket material I'm concerned about.

I'd take a picture of it to show the wear and tear on the gasket, but the stove it busy getting the house warmed up after a five hour power outage this morning.

I'm betting I should be able to source the gasket material myself, scrape off the old and lay on a new piece. Does anybody have recommendations on the correct thickness, temperature rating, etc?

Hmm, my fines cover is a rectangle and has a decent felt-ish type gasket covering the entire inside. Never had to replace cover or gaskets. Must be particular to the Accentra.

Hmm, my fines cover is a rectangle and has a decent felt-ish type gasket covering the entire inside. Never had to replace cover or gaskets. Must be particular to the Accentra.

Mine also...covers the entire plate. How thick do you think the material needs to be? 1/8"?

Reactions: bogieb
You may need your serial # if ordering as there appears to be different ones
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.co...et-for-Harman-Pellet-Stoves-p/1-00-677122.htm
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.co...out-Cover-and-Gasket-2-Sets-p/1-00-677152.htm

Not sure why they come in sets of two... May want to pay close attention to thickness if there are two versions. Looks like one is felt type material; other may have silicon or teflon type coating on one side.

Mine would be the 2nd one you list.

Accentra (Pre serial # 008400001)

My big question here though is if I can buy a square foot of gasket material for $9 why go for the full replacement kit?

I happened to have my stove shutdown for a deep clean. The gasket is 0.120" thick or about 1/8". I'm not sure what the material is but it feels like it's neoprene.

Attachments

• fines_box_cover.jpg
    fines_box_cover.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: bogieb
I happened to have my stove shutdown for a deep clean. The gasket is 0.120" thick or about 1/8". I'm not sure what the material is but it feels like it's neoprene.

Yours is in much better shape than mine...I'm betting I can seal up some minor leaks by replacing the fabric.

I'm wondering if there is a need for high temp stuff, but for the minimal cost by buying in "bulk" it's probable better to have.

Many thanks for taking the time to post...immensely helpful. (if you ever need some for replacing yours get n touch...Im betting I'll have quite a bit left over after the purchase)

Reactions: jackman
It is a similar foam type gasket like on my hopper lid. I wouldn't pay $36 - $38 bucks for that thing. The metal cover would never go bad unless you have it off and step on it. Don't even think that would hurt it. I would look around hardware stores or the net. I do not think it needs to be flame resistant either. The factory stuff isn't I bet.

I'd just scrape it and find some new foam and use contact cement sold in small bottles with a dapping Q-Tip looking applicator on the lid. Kind of a minature version of PVC glue and cleaner lids if you've ever seen those.

Hell, I would probably just glue another piece of foam over the old. It's not that critical and the wing nut would snug it down to where it needs to live. Or maybe find a small roll of similar foam material (many have adhesive backs) and put that around where it is needed. You can clearly see the line on the foam gasket when you take the cover off.

the gasket material from amazon has a heat rating 450F max/500F intermittent ... seems to be the same as gaskets that are used on the inspection ports on my stove body. Never hurts to have heat rated in a hot environment:) Still far cheaper than the 2 pack kits!

Amazon does indeed own commerce these days.

Because I am a Amazon Prime member, shipping is usually free on most items. These days it takes 3 days or so to arrive, but that's OK with me.

Found 1/16" Lytherm by the square foot, ~$15 or so. Prime eligible.

Looked elsewhere for private companies, to order direct from them. About the same price by the square foot, but the shipping added on anywhere from another 50% to 80%.

I think the 1/16th will suffice, I'll most likely layer it over the existing gasket.

And oh yeah...due to my having an Amazon endorsed credit card, I had enough existing points accumulated to pay the entire.

Mine also...covers the entire plate. How thick do you think the material needs to be? 1/8"?
Sorry, I was looking at the randome picture they put up there instead of the description. Made me think you had a circular plate - my bad for not paying attention ==c

Sorry, I was looking at the randome picture they put up there instead of the description. Made me think you had a circular plate - my bad for not paying attention ==c

Your pic was a rectangle...same as mine.

Are you OK?

Is it the alcohol?

Solar flares?

Too much inundation of political ads?

We're here to help...we'll intervene. Just ask. Or expect us at the most inopportune time for an intervention.

Reactions: jackman
Your pic was a rectangle...same as mine.

Are you OK?

Is it the alcohol?

Solar flares?

Too much inundation of political ads?

We're here to help...we'll intervene. Just ask. Or expect us at the most inopportune time for an intervention.

MY link was of a rectangle (as I was showing you what mine looked like). The link YOU supplied shows a gasket cut in a circular pattern.

Are you having trouble with English? Or maybe it is CRS? Or, maybe you are the one with the juice problem? Maybe this is the way you ask for an intervention :p

Reactions: womaus
MY link was of a rectangle (as I was showing you what mine looked like). The link YOU supplied shows a gasket cut in a circular pattern.

Are you having trouble with English? Or maybe it is CRS? Or, maybe you are the one with the juice problem? Maybe this is the way you ask for an intervention :p

Ya but no but....my link may have shown a circular gasket, but the text stated it was a sheet, sold by the square foot.

This is Lytherm flat white gasket about 1/8" thick as a raw material. The photo is only being used as an example of the raw gasket material.
We are selling it by the square foot from a 2' wide roll. If you buy one item here you will get 12" x 12" x 1/8" thick and you can cut it to fit your needs with a razor knife or scissors.

And yes, I do have trouble with English. Always have. It's a tough language. I learn something new everyday though.

And nor do I have trouble with Catholic Relief Services. Or Community Relation Services. I could use a Complete Restoration Solution, but I'm betting it would be cost prohibitive. There is so much in need of refurbishment don't you know.

I like juice. Certainly not a problem. In fact, at the time I wrote that post I was waiting for a six pack of Guinness Extra Stout to be delivered. It was payment for recovering the data off of a failing 500GB laptop hard drive. Oh, wait. That's considered beer. Yep, I like beer too. Did I mention I like Guinness? Stout? Extra?

I'd enjoy an intervention. Will it take long? Should I schedule an afternoon for it? More importantly, do you really think it will help?

And I did like your picture of the clean out plate, and most certainly appreciated the time that you took to make that post.

And I do not like emoticons. But that's because I'm old.

As I stated - my bad for not paying attention to the text that went along with the picture of the circular gasket in your link. Didn't mean to confuse you into thinking I was talking about my link.

I know.

As you know, a stirred pot never boils. Or something like that. I forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.