Harman Accentra FS Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningMan

Oct 27, 2008
New England
OK,
I realize the following install isn't an ideal one, but it would allow me to put the stove in the best possible location for me.
All that said, here we go...

I'll describe this as if you are standing, facing the front of the stove. (Hope this makes sense).
I need to exit the stove (first pipe out the stove) into a 90 degree elbow.
Then go straight-up about 7 feet into another 90 degree elbow.
Then go straight over your head, in a horizontal run, to the outside wall of my house, about 9 feet away (the stove faces this outside wall).
Then I'm outside the house and I can go as high as needed.
I can also increase the diameter of all pipe as needed if this helps.

I know, I know, I know...
Harman doesn't want to see any horizontal runs longer than 4 feet.
Just thought I'd ask all of you if the above is possible & safe.

Thanks

It's probably possible...
Safety is another issue...you're gonna end up with stuff accumulating in that horizontal run...
I'm thinking that's gonna be dangerous & may lead to a vent (chimney) fire...
Also, you're gonna KILL your combustion blower, even if you go to 4" PV (recommended for venting over 15' long)...
It's just gonna work too hard to blow the exhaust thru that length...
Those blowers are $90 a pop...

Right now, you have a minimum of 27 1/2' of effective flue length...... if the Harman has a 3" exhaust, you would HAVE to increase to 4" as soon as you came out of the stove, but IMO, I think that long horizontal run in the house is going to cause problems...... including BIG ash build-ups and poor draft.

I have the same stove, it works great. Don't do it, they are correct the blower wont be able to handle it. Can you direct vent?

Possibly direct vent.
But would prefer the spot in the house for the stove, that would need this more complicated installation.

How long have you been using your Accentra?

This is the first winter, so far we have burned through 3 tons of pellets, ours is direct vented with no problems we also use the OAK. Burn it 24 X 7 heats most of the house, I have a second theromsat in the finshed basement set at 55 degrees, but the Accentra heats the majority of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.