harman accentra heat exchanger cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenc0322

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2011
long Island NY
I have a question about cleaning the heat exchanger with the wire brush I read that you should remove the heat probe before you brush the left vent that make a right towards the back of the unit and to do that you need to pull the unit out. I have read that some people just brush it and are putting the brush all the way in. that would be easier Has anyone done this with out removing the heat probe thanks

glenc0322 said:
I have a question about cleaning the heat exchanger with the wire brush I read that you should remove the heat probe before you brush the left vent that make a right towards the back of the unit and to do that you need to pull the unit out. I have read that some people just brush it and are putting the brush all the way in. that would be easier Has anyone done this with out removing the heat probe thanks

I cleaned the vents for the first time last week, did not do anything with the probe and no issues. Good luck.

I also don't touch the probe, and all is well!

I do remove the probe for cleaning as I tend to be a bit rough with the brush. Plus I like to clean the probe while it is out of the stove. But as long as you are careful you don't need to remove it. Another way I look at it is a new probe costs about 50-60 bucks so I figure a couple extra minutes removing it may save me that money in the event I damage it while cleaning the vent.

Do you pull the stove out to clean it or do you clean the vents with the stove inserted thanls

PJPellet said:
I do remove the probe for cleaning as I tend to be a bit rough with the brush. Plus I like to clean the probe while it is out of the stove. But as long as you are careful you don't need to remove it. Another way I look at it is a new probe costs about 50-60 bucks so I figure a couple extra minutes removing it may save me that money in the event I damage it while cleaning the vent.

I have only cleaned the vents once, but how would you know if the probe was hit or damaged? I would prefer not to pull the stove out every other week.

Me too and only clean the probe after a ton burned but i am nervous about shoving the brush in and hitting it

jdege said:
PJPellet said:

I have only cleaned the vents once, but how would you know if the probe was hit or damaged? I would prefer not to pull the stove out every other week.

If the probe was damaged the stove would not function correctly. Supposedly even a little bend in them can damage them. Personally I think as long as you take your time and are careful you won't have an issue. Once the brush gets past the probe shine a light in there and make sure the brush handle doesn't bump it or anything like that. Slow and steady and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.