harman accentra insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tallen4392

Sep 27, 2010
Hi can anyone tell me if only 5 feet of vent pipe up your chimney is a safe install . I had mine dealer installed yesterday and that is how they do it. The guy said he has been doing it this way for a long time. I looked at the harman manual and it shows a pic of this way to install also but it does not seem right to me.. But why would harman say it is ok ?? Any thoughts on this ...THANKS

it is allowed in many locals, and not allowed in some. there is ongoing debate regarding the overall pro's and con's of the "partial reline" (what you have). where do you live? it may be worth your while to inquire at your local building dept. or with your home owner's insurance co. to see if they find this acceptable.

MA requires the full reline, if I'm not mistaken (part of their relativley new Solid Fuels LIcense whatchamacallit). This was a totally acceptable practice in MA until a year or 2 ago, your town may let it fly, but I'm pretty sure the state says "full reline required". Anybody else confirm this?

Is this safe ?? This dealer has been in buisness in MA for over 50 years and a harman dealer for over 20 .. Just wondering how safe this is.......... THANKS

its perfectly safe if done correctly, it is a viable installation technique.

as a UL listed appliance, as long as the unit is installed in accordance with the Owner's Manual provided, it is an acceptable install, as long as the building official accepts it. In fact, the owners' manual is supposed to trump the code official, but who wants to try and beat city hall? If the manual says its accepted, and the code official is ok with it, then it should be ok. I guess if you feel more qualified than the stove company or code official, or, simply require a liner for your piece of mind, the stove company can install a a liner, although Im sure it will be at additional cost.....to you. Heck, if it helps, just tell the dealer you want a liner installed. Its a profit item, and Im sure they would be more than happy to sell you the liner and/or install one! ;-)

Newbie posting here, reading on the site forever, and from MA and was told by the
install company that a liner was required all the way up. Inspector told us the same.
We have a funky clause on our insurance and decided not to screw with
it. From the stove we had to go up appx. 26 feet. OUCH! At some point
you get tired of fighting city hall...
But loving our Quad 1200 insert...

I believe MA codes require the liner to all the way up. Both my town's fire chiefs and building inspector said the same thing when I installed my insert.

That was 5 years ago and the codes may have changed, but I doubt it.

It is a safe install if sealed at the damper, but all the way up and sealed at the top is better.

Delta-T said:
MA requires the full reline, if I'm not mistaken (part of their relativley new Solid Fuels LIcense whatchamacallit). This was a totally acceptable practice in MA until a year or 2 ago, your town may let it fly, but I'm pretty sure the state says "full reline required". Anybody else confirm this?

x2 this is true. But only for the past 2 years.

I would think this guy would know this he said another 1000.00 to do it all the way up i dont know what my options are now ...... thanks

Im guessing it depends on the quality of the liner....a few different types there.....ran my own liner, have helped folks run their own as well....pretty easy, really. Try it yourself? Just make sure to buy a liner approved for pellet burning.....

I used my Harmon Accentra piped the same way my first season. I installed it myself and it performed very well. I located a piece of ss pipe (25ft) for $75 . Then it went to the top. Performs better but not $$$$$$$$$ worth. Your fine with that setup.

I believe it has to do with condensation, with pipe all the way up the water will still be vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.