Harman Accentra Insert owners - ideas for better exhaust tube cleaning ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GViz

Apr 2, 2008
Northern NJ
I'm starting on my 3rd season with the Accentra insert and aside from one burned out igniter, no real problems overall, or, so I believed. I thought I had been doing a good job with frequent cleanings and end of season cleaning etc. but I continue to learn about this unit. I experienced the "blocked" left exhaust tube problem, along with the tar like substance. I've got it completely clean, unblocked, about as clean as it was when new. I don't intend to let it get this bad again, I guess I hadn't been cleaning the left side tube all the way, I honestly don't recall, but I would think not.

Regardless, along with more frequent brushing of the tubes and general cleaning during the heating season, I'm trying to think of creative ways to adapt something to my super strong shop vacuum to really get these clean, before any serious buildup, and before any moisture/tarry substance forms. The Harman supplied brush is fine (with frequent cleaning of course) but making sure all of the ash and perhaps small clumps are completely removed is difficult if the stove isn't completely pulled out so I can see the end of the left (and right) side tube(s) through the inspection cover.

I used various sized clear plastic tubes attached to the vacuum nozzle, getting the tubes all the way into each exhaust tube. With the clumps I had, the tubes were getting blocked pretty quickly. Something larger, but still flexible, is needed. Larger plastic tubing, taped to the vacuum nozzle, of course will work.

I'm wondering however if one of you Insert owners has crafted something more efficient ?

Viz

Status
Not open for further replies.