Harman Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanastasis

Jan 4, 2010
Annapolis, MD
We have had our insert for 2 or 3 years now and it never fails, when the temp drops below 30F or 40F outside we can't maintain an internal temp of 70F inside. We have a rather open floor plan and the actual thermostat to the main living area is no more that 15' away from the stove. We have even started cleaning our stove on a weekly basis hoping that would help and a deep cleaning at that, and that doesn't seem to help. Right now we are running the pellet stove and the heat pump just to maintain the home at 70F. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum Hope we can help with your problem. First, please explain your "deep cleaning" procedures...ie: what part(s) of the stove is cleaned? Are the blowers always removed and cleaned? Ash traps? Etc, etc.

Also, how is the stove vented in the chimney? Full liner to the top? How often is the liner cleaned? Do you run an OAK with your insert?

EDIT: How big of an area are you trying to heat? Where in the house is the insert located?

I'm sorry I misread the chimney venting...and I am not exactly sure how to answer it. We have a pipe that runs all the way up the chimney to the out side which has a cap on it. The entire two story house is only about 2600 sq feet and we have a dual zone heat so the upstairs has its own heat pump that heats that part of the home. Our house is a big rectangle and the main area is one big open part to it and the stairs that sepatarte one room which we did not expect it to heat.

I also guess my first post did not go through...sorry new to this whole thing. The cleaning my husband does is what the owners manual instructs us to do. He removes the plates, cleans out the tubes, pulls the stove out and clean out what ever is in the back there. As for cleaning the chimney liner, we haven't had that done since the stove was installed. We were told it could be done every 2 - 3 years and we burn Lignetics pellets.

kanastasis said:
I also guess my first post did not go through...sorry new to this whole thing. The cleaning my husband does is what the owners manual instructs us to do. He removes the plates, cleans out the tubes, pulls the stove out and clean out what ever is in the back there. As for cleaning the chimney liner, we haven't had that done since the stove was installed. We were told it could be done every 2 - 3 years and we burn Lignetics pellets.

OK, for the record, I'm not saying that what I'm about to recommend will solve all the heating problems, but it's a start.

First, whoever told you you could go 2-3 years without cleaning the liner (especially if you burn multiple tons of pellets each heating season), was "incorrect" to use a nice term. BTW, how long is the liner, and what size (diameter)?

The liner and exhaust system in the stove should be cleaned after about 1 or 1 1/2 tons....2 tons MAX!. This includes the entire chimney liner, the combustion blower, ash traps behind the firebox back wall, heat exchanger tubes, etc.....basically every nook & cranny that can be cleaned. Many people on this forum also use a leaf blower after their done cleaning, which sucks out as much "unseen" ash as you are going to get. Do a search for "leaf blower method".....many posts.

In addition, the room air blower should also be removed & cleaned. Some of the room air blower motors even have provisions for lubrication, but not all.

Oh, and I'm assuming the insert is on the main floor of the house, and not the basement, correct?

The insert is on the main level, we have no basement just a crawl space underneath. As for the diameter of the liner, etc...I am not sure...Our house is two sotries and it goes through the roof top. I will have some one come out to clean the liner, thanks for the advice. I will also check on this "leaf blower method". I know we have cleaned just about every nook and cranny possible. I will also check and see if he has cleaned the distribution blower. Thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.