Harman Accentra or Mt Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, thanks for the help. I ended up going with the Harman Accentra. It will be installed on the 11th... Either is able to heat my house. The both have pros and cons. I figured I'd save $400-600 bucks and use it to pay for most of my pellets next year..

Again, thanks for the help. I ended up going with the Harman Accentra. It will be installed on the 11th... Either is able to heat my house. The both have pros and cons. I figured I'd save $400-600 bucks and use it to pay for most of my pellets next year..
Congrats, remember pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I posted earlier requesting peoples opinions. I have decided between these two units. I have found a dealer for both, but now it comes down to which one to get. The part of my house (ranch) I am heating in approx 1500 square feet. Both will handle it (I think). I just can't make up my mind. I like the harman because of the reputation, cost, no visible thermostat, and less electronics. But I am really concerned about the noise. I like the mt Vernon because of the style, quietness, and extra btu's. But don't like spending the extra $600 and the higher likelihood of issues (from what I've read). I'm stuck. Is the noise for the Harman that bad? I have listened to it in stores (I've gone to about 8), but it's not the same environment as home. It does seem loud. Any opinions either way would be appreciated... I have until the 15th to make up my mind. Thanks.
I have owned an Accentra for 6 years and the noise doesnt bother me. I sleep close by it, too. I think the new Accentras must be updated to be better mechanically with the direct drive auger, too. It almost seems as though the stoves are very different in terms of brand specific maintainence. I wonder if the Accentra might be a bit small for you at 40,000 BTU. Maybe you could consider the bigger Harman P61.

I have owned an Accentra for 6 years and the noise doesnt bother me. I sleep close by it, too. I think the new Accentras must be updated to be better mechanically with the direct drive auger, too. It almost seems as though the stoves are very different in terms of brand specific maintainence. I wonder if the Accentra might be a bit small for you at 40,000 BTU. Maybe you could consider the bigger Harman P61.
Too small? Why do you think that? 1500 sq ft is little generous for my square footage, so I thought either would do the job

Too small? Why do you think that? 1500 sq ft is little generous for my square footage, so I thought either would do the job
Perhaps I am used to the belief that a bigger house is drafty. I thought the extra BTU would enable you to get the heat faster to the ends of the house if you were starting out with a very cold house temperature.

I just had an energy audit, sealed it up pretty well, added r49+ of insulation, and don't have cathedral ceilings anywhere. Basic ranch. I might add a small fan to help the air get down the hall, but I thought (I might be wrong) that either would do the job.

Got the stove installed yesterday. Ran it for a couple hours and I think its going to do a great job heating the house. Air seemed to move fine in the house and the fan noise is not as bad as I thought. The only question I have (for people that have the Harman) is when the stove initially turns on I hear a low, almost vibrating sound that stays on when the stove is on. It almost reminds me of the low sound a refrigerator makes when it kicks on. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it normal? And I will get a pic up...

Congrats on you Accentra FS. This is my fourth year with mine and I love it. Keeps the oil man "at bay". Plus I keep the house toasty warm all winter! Good luck with it.

Thanks. But I have the insert, not the FS. Any noise with yours?

I have mine in my kitchen and I can hear some noise in the living room where the TV is, but after four years I don't even hear it as it becomes white noise. If I turn the blower down, I don't hear it all, but I crank it up when it's really cold.

Its not the blower noise. I dont find it that bad at all. It was a low humming type noise that I didnt expect. I was wondering if that was normal

The only noticable noise I hear is the blower. No other noises like you described.

Here it is. The fireplace needs to be cleaned some. The owners before were not that clean when painting... I figured out the noise. It is the combustion blower. It has a little bit of a whine to it, but it wasn't as bad today when I ran it.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 440
Status
Not open for further replies.