Harman Accentra powers on, but won't run after replacing fuse.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishBrewer

Jan 29, 2014
Maryland
Hello everyone,

Our circa 2008 (bought by previous home owner) Accentra insert worked fine until last week when I discovered a blown fuse was the cause of why it randomly (and instantly) shut off. I ordered the specific fuse online (for those who don't know, the replacement is a 120V/250V fast acting 6A glass fuse that measures 6mm x 30mm; the more common 20mm size will be too short). While waiting for the fuses to arrive, I took the time to thoroughly clean out the insert- including taking out the medallion and side plates and cleaning out the ports/vents in each corner. I discovered the left plate was rusted shut and found, once I pried it off, wet gunk and a lot of rust packed around the port/vent. It looks like this side of the insert was not properly venting for a long time.

Once I put everything back together and replaced the blown fuse, I turned it on and discovered a problem. The power light will come on and when I turn up the temperature, the activity light and combustion motor light turn on. However, the actual combustion blower/fan does not power on. The insert remains silent and the feed motor never powers on (nor does the light turn on). Oddly enough, when I put the feed rate controller in the test mode to force the feed auger to turn on, it does not actually turn on, but the combustion blower/fan does finally turn on. FYI, I was not using a surge protector and the norm is for me to turn off the insert abruptly by disconnecting it from the outlet via a remote control. I know, probably bad practice.

My hypothesis are the following:

1) A surge caused the fuse to blow, but somehow not fast enough causing damage to the controller PCB. Visually, I see no signs of shorting or overheating.
2) In order for me to get to the fuse, I had to disconnect the controller board from its various connections and wiring bundle. I noticed the two blue wires with spade connectors had very little slack. The wire bundle was also tight. Perhaps me tugging at it caused a wiring issue?
3) Maybe the severely blocked and strangely wet port/vent caused a sensor to go bad or a motor to burn out?

I would love to get this running sooner than later, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. What could have caused this issue? If anyone has an ideas what I should do or check out next, please share. Thank you!

- Łukasz

The storms have been raising cane with power. Our new UPS gives a count of events. Probably the best money spent along with leaf blower to keeping the stoves happy. Your event probably cooked the board and you have just discovered other issues.:( About the only thing that IMO should be controlled with a remote are solid element items like lightbulbs and my cars block heater. Ugly power surge arc etc.

Last edited:
I think bio is right.But before I installed new/repaired board I would try to run all 3 motors straight from outlet,to prevent a repeat in case it wasn't a surge.Bruners repairs boards,not far from you and may have an exchange.

Reactions: Bioburner
I think bio is right.But before I installed new/repaired board I would try to run all 3 motors straight from outlet,to prevent a repeat in case it wasn't a surge.Bruners repairs boards,not far from you and may have an exchange.

Thank you both for the quick responses. Bob, can you explain how I would run all 3 motors straight from the outlet? Do you mean remove the wiring bundle from the controller board and manually power up each motor with a patch cable going straight to line voltage? Also, who is Bruners? Do you have contact info?

Yep,make a patch cord out of an old extension cord,each motor unhooked before you test it. bruners bits and pieces,good web site,good on phone calls,north of you in pennsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.