Harman Accentra Questions Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur Feral

Minister of Fire
Aug 24, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
I just saw what appears to be an Accentra insert go up on local CL, and have some quick questions for the many Harman devotees on the forum (you folks may convert me after all). For background, we have had a freestanding Quad MVAE for 5 seasons and a Whitfield Quest insert for 2. The Quest is in my basement office and is great, but has no ignitor and no thermostat, and is just a tad noisier than I would like, so I am thinking of replacing it with an insert that has a thermostat and ignitor, and that can go for a few days between cleanings, and wonder if a Harman could be "it":

1) What was the Accentra model prior to the current 52i? As I understand it, the 52i got a 10,000 BTU boost (not important to me for this location) but were there any other big changes / updates? The CL poster doesn't list the model, but a quick check on the Harman site tells me it is an Accentra based on looks.

2) Thermostat: Given that this is an insert, a wired stat won't work. I would rather base temp off the other end of the finished basement office, so is there a programmable wireless stat available? Or, could I hook this up to a stat from a 3rd party? (Stat on MVAE is proprietary).

3) Big Question... Time between cleaning / stirring: my MVAE has that "autoclean" feature that allows us to go a full week between cleanings, which is perfect. In fact, the only thing we do all week is dump more pellets in. I keep hearing about people "stirring" their burn pot on many stoves... On the Quest, I can open the door and stir the pot a bit, but then I smell like wood smoke until I change clothes. Doesn't work in this office location. Can the Accentra (or any Harman insert) go several days or a week without needing to do that?

4) Price: Ask on CL is $3000, and they claim to have used for two seasons. Thoughts? Happy to negotiate, but what's a good range? Claim to have had it professionally cleaned each year, but pics suggest routine maintenance may be lacking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can run my Harman for a month easily between a cleaning. Simply dump pellets in and a quick pot scrape while it's running daily and I have gone several days on this. The cleaning and such on the Harmans is minimal vs. others from what I have seen and read. Very happy here. Glad I went the route I did.

Harmans can be hooked to a stat. Search here as it has been done many times. I find no need and simply using the room sensing probe works well to keep the temps within a degree or so. Not familiar with the 52's but F4, Big Papa, and many other happy owners here you can ask.

I'd work on the price some if it was me. Find out what the new cost is on one and go from there.

Reactions: MuchoBueno
The 52i replaced a 42,000 BTU insert which to my knowledge didn't have a numerical designation but I could be wrong and someone can jump in. The 52i was designed to cut down the cleaning time and they got rid of the right angle baffle that was challenging to clean out. When I got my 52i, it was a slight redsign from when they first came out. The installer said it was modified to make it even easier to clean in that everything to clean is in front and you shouldn't have to pull the stove out until the final cleaning at the end of the season. I am sure there are circumstances where the stove might have to be pulled out (clogged fine box) but so far, mine is running like new and I haven't had to slide the insert out.

The Accentra has an iron clad history, both the FS and insert , at least in terms of dependability.

I replaced my Whitfield Profile 30 insert with a 7 year old Accentra last fall. The seller was asking $1800 and I got it for $1500. It needed an ignitor at the time. I have been very happy with it this winter, the maintenance is much less than my old Whitfield. However the pot definitely needs to be scraped daily, not a big deal. Takes about 30 secs, I use an old screwdriver that I bent, and put on some heavy leather work gloves. I do a quick cleaning weekly (20 mins or so), although I could probably go 2 or 3 weeks between cleanings. I haven't pulled it out yet, figure I'll wait til spring for that. I don't really find the Accentra any quieter than the Whit, and maybe even a bit louder at higher fan speeds, not sure about that.

Thanks, all. For those that scrape the pot, do you smell wood smoke when you do this Any smoke or smell in the room?

Thanks, all. For those that scrape the pot, do you smell wood smoke when you do this Any smoke or smell in the room?
This is how I do it. I slowly open the door the begin scrapping. If the flame goes out and that's when some smoke pours out the front, I close the door back up and wait a few secs for the flame to start up again, the scrape more if I have to. But it's not a ton of smoke that pours out. It's just a bit but I don't like even that little bit.

A little bit at times depending on whether the pellets start to smolder but most times I'm done and the door is closed before that happens.

A little bit at times depending on whether the pellets start to smolder but most times I'm done and the door is closed before that happens.
Thank you. I think the autoclean on the MVAE has me spoiled.

I have the 52i; I find that if I turn the stove down/flame down, I get more smoke smell than if I just do a quick scrape with flame burning strong. The trick for me is that the wife doesn't see me do this ::P

I have the 52i; I find that if I turn the stove down/flame down, I get more smoke smell than if I just do a quick scrape with flame burning strong. The trick for me is that the wife doesn't see me do this ::P
She'll smell it soon enough. Haha. I scrape mine daily, but it literally takes under 5 seconds for me. You get a brief smoke smell that is not strong and lingers for 5 minutes tops.

In thinking about it, I only get smoke when the stove is on slow burn before ramping up again. If it's going full bore when I open the door, no smoke is produced.

Think asking price of $3000 is a little steep for an older model accentra. Even if it is only 2 years old, a brand new model is out there now. With a little dickering you can get a brand new one for $3500-$3600, especially toward the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.