Harman Accentra startup feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta-T said:
by chance have you inspected the feeder body (specifically the fines box) to see if its full up, restricting the flow of pellets? There is also a chance that the slide plate was removed for cleaning and reinstalled upside down, which will slow the feeding process. The only units I have ever had to adjust the dip switches for are central heating units.

I pulled the auger off and cleaned the tube. I did take off the slide plate out and I think I installed it correctly. The stove wad never clean for over 5 years so I had to clean it in and out. So which way should the plate be? I remember a lip or an edge on one side of the plate.

lip faces up, smooth side down...

Delta-T said:
lip faces up, smooth side down...

Ok thanks for info. I really don't remember how I put it. That could be the cause. I never started it until I put it back together. I tested the igniter, which was bad, replaced it and started the stove. So I really don't know how it started before I bought it only when I saw it before I bought it. They already had it running so I wouldn't know the igniter was bad.

This might help some folks that have an interest.

This all makes since now. Appreciate it!!! But can you change the setting even though it says one thing. I.E. Accentra is off off off default setting.

Lineman30 said:
This all makes since now. Appreciate it!!! But can you change the setting even though it says one thing. I.E. Accentra is off off off default setting.
Sure you can, dip switches 1,2,3 only affect how many pellets feed into the burnpot on startup.Dip switch settings that increase the amount of pellets fed into the burnpot may increase the amount of time prior to ignition of the pellets, creating more smoke and a "blowback" condition when the pellets do finally ignite.

Just took board off aNd all switches are on off. Should I change the settings? Switch 5 Is even off. My board number is different than the number on the diagram.

kinsman stoves said:
just the first three. Take your time and unplug before you begine.

off, off, off is preset
off, off, on will give you a -21 second preload
off, on, off will give you a -43 second load
off, on, on will give you a -64 second load

on, off, off will give you a +21 seconds
on, off, on will give you a +43 seconds
on, on, off will give you a +64 seconds
on, on, on will give you a +85 seconds

Eric

Eric,
Which do you recommend on a P61A? Do you change from the default when doing an install?

Harman Lover 007 said:
Lineman30 said:
It's not the igniter. It just seems there isn't enough pellets pushed into the burn pot area. It sits there after the initial feed and then after 5 or so mins it then feed motor starts cycling. I watched it this morning and there were very little pellets and I waited a while then decided to turn it to test to push more pellets into the burn pot. After that the fire took off.

As far as I know, the start up process is a pre-determined cycle, meaning the amount of time the auger turns to fill the burnpot is a set amount of time. I remember somewhere that a dip switch setting might control that time length. Hopefully one of the Harman Techs here can help you out. The feed rate setting has no effect on the starting process.

It's OK guys...you can thank me later...I'm here all week.......

Lineman30 said:
Just took board off aNd all switches are on off. Should I change the settings? Switch 5 Is even off. My board number is different than the number on the diagram.

Switch #5 depends upon what is in the stove for an ESP, if you want more pellets in the burn pot at startup turn switch #1 on, put the controller back in the stove, close it up, plug things back in, and give it a try.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For comparison, my xxv went from out and cold to fire in under 3 minutes. Just saying.

Lineman30 said:

Everything seems consistent with the diagram. Take a look at your ESP probe wire color to see if 5 is correct, otherwise just focus on the first 3 switches. Switch 1 to on to add 21 seconds and see how it goes.

lbcynya said:
For comparison, my xxv went from out and cold to fire in under 3 minutes. Just saying.

Lineman30 said:

Everything seems consistent with the diagram. Take a look at your ESP probe wire color to see if 5 is correct, otherwise just focus on the first 3 switches. Switch 1 to on to add 21 seconds and see how it goes.

Changed the 1 switch to on and noticed a much better startup for normal. Time will tell if i'll like but its not hard to change it back.

Thanks for the info on the DIP switch settings. So, what is the timing for the "default setting" ? And so a -21 seconds would be subtracted to this?
Is the positive settings in addtition to the default or the total time???

timjk69 said:
Thanks for the info on the DIP switch settings. So, what is the timing for the "default setting" ? And so a -21 seconds would be subtracted to this?

Additions I'd say given how tech manuals are generally written.

timjk69 said:

I thought about that too, but then decided - does it really matter? You either have too much or not enough, hence the ability to add or subtract time from the default setting.

lbcynya said:
timjk69 said:

I thought about that too, but then decided - does it really matter? You either have too much or not enough, hence the ability to add or subtract time from the default setting.

those additions and subtractions are to account for the different sizes of the various burnpots on different models...its not some adjustment that is subjective based on personal preference. not something I'd use as a work around for problems that arise after years of use.

what I found out about my accentra is that the chain motor mechanism was stuck and it would start turning only after a few miunutes. It turned out that the grease inside was actually acting as a glue and blocked the mechanism.
So I cleaned it and put new high temp grease and now the auger starts working as soon the stove is turned on. My stove has a chain, so it might be different for the new chainless ones.

mepellet said:
kinsman stoves said:

off, off, off is preset

Eric

Eric,
Which do you recommend on a P61A? Do you change from the default when doing an install?

I try not to change any factory settings.
The factory designed the unit and know what runs best.
Eric

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
mepellet said:
kinsman stoves said:

off, off, off is preset

Eric

Eric,

Eric
The default dip switch settings from the factory are just a starting point for any adjustment if needed, it's impossible for the factory to know what settings will allow the stove to feed the correct amount of pellets, the reason being that not all pellet manufacturers make the same length pellet, shorter pellets tend to feed more pellets per revoloution of the auger while longer pellets feed less, the reason for these dip switches, to increase or decrease the amount of pellets entering the burnpot for ignition. These dip switches allow the service tech or home owner to adjust the correct amount of pellets entering the burnpot on startup, dependant on who manufactured the pellets that are used. IMHO, not having the proper quanity of pellets in the burnpot on startup will increase the stress on the igniter which leads to a short life.

wil said:
mepellet said:
kinsman stoves said:

off, off, off is preset

Eric

Eric,

Eric
The default dip switch settings from the factory are just a starting point for any adjustment if needed, it's impossible for the factory to know what settings will allow the stove to feed the correct amount of pellets, the reason being that not all pellet manufacturers make the same length pellet, shorter pellets tend to feed more pellets per revoloution of the auger while longer pellets feed less, the reason for these dip switches, to increase or decrease the amount of pellets entering the burnpot for ignition. These dip switches allow the service tech or home owner to adjust the correct amount of pellets entering the burnpot on startup, dependant on who manufactured the pellets that are used. IMHO, not having the proper quanity of pellets in the burnpot on startup will increase the stress on the igniter which leads to a short life.

this only tends to apply to the central heating units because the burnpots are so large. MOst of the other burnpots are significantly smaller and therefore a matter of a few revolutions will not dramatically impact the total number of pellets. In the case of the PB or PF the burnpots are huge. Too few pellets would not fill the burnpot enough to give ignition, and that would be valid...not so much on the other units.

Have a question on test mode. I timed the auger and it only made 3 1/2 revolutions in a 60 second period. Does that mean anything? I was thinking maybe that could be my cause of less pellets at startup. I've stated earlier that i did change the dip switch 1 and it did help some but maybe it could be the auger motor...

Delta-T said:
wil said:
mepellet said:
kinsman stoves said:

off, off, off is preset

Eric

Eric,

Eric

this only tends to apply to the central heating units because the burnpots are so large. MOst of the other burnpots are significantly smaller and therefore a matter of a few revolutions will not dramatically impact the total number of pellets. In the case of the PB or PF the burnpots are huge. Too few pellets would not fill the burnpot enough to give ignition, and that would be valid...not so much on the other units.
Lets talk about what program default means to me. When I see a "program default setting"it tells me that the chip on the controller has been programmed to power, in this case an auger, for a determined amount of time on startup. The size of the burnpot does determine the period of time that is programmed by the factory into the chip to power the auger, the chip has to be programmed with different times on different models because the default dip switch settings are the same for all Harman stoves and central heating systems, all off. I ask myself, why did Harman install dip switches on the controllers for controlling the amount of pellets that are fed into the burnpot on startup?The answer that I come up with is, since Harman has no control over the length of pellets that are produced, some feed faster than others, some slower, dip switch settings are used to control the amount of pellets entering the burnpot on startup depending on the pellet that is used.

Lineman30 said:
Have a question on test mode. I timed the auger and it only made 3 1/2 revolutions in a 60 second period. Does that mean anything? I was thinking maybe that could be my cause of less pellets at startup. I've stated earlier that i did change the dip switch 1 and it did help some but maybe it could be the auger motor...
The parts list mentions that its a 4 RPM auger for that model stove. If you feel that you need more pellets on startup, more than the settings of dip switch 1 on, 2 off, 3 off, try 1 on, 2 off, 3 on, this will increase auger run time a little more, easy to change back if it feeds to many pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.