Harman Accentra venting change needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apache1646

Oct 8, 2007
Good Morning,

This is my first post and I hope not to get "flamed" <smile>.

We had this stove installed 2 years ago. We love it for the heat, but dislike it for the cleaning that needs to be outside our home due to the venting.

It was installed by someone that is no longer in business. Even if they were, we would not use them again, as they had to come to our home three different times because of the outside vent pipe and how it was installed and venting.

Please see the pictures attached. We are going to fix this ourselves and need instruction that makes sense for the DIY. We would like (if possible) for this to extend up above the roof line. What type of pipe and cap would be needed to do this if it can be done safely?

Thank-you,
Laura in PA

Attachments

• Pellet Stove exhaust pipe 001.jpg
    Pellet Stove exhaust pipe 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 601
  • Pellet Stove exhaust pipe 002.jpg
    Pellet Stove exhaust pipe 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 394
Thanks for the info...please keep it coming.

Do we remove the vent cover, and then add a clean-out tee without adding or removing any existing pipe?

Now where can I buy what I need...any online suppliers you would recommend?

Also...any ideas on what to use to clean the siding from the soot? I've tried TSP and hot water as well as bleach water (at different times).

Thanks again.

Do we remove the vent cover, and then add a clean-out tee without adding or removing any existing pipe?
Yes. You will need to add a standoff, wall bracket to support the vertical section of the pipe as well. Look in your stove's manual for installation suggestions.

The new pipe should match the brand of pipe currently installed. Look on the interior pipe for manufacturer's labeling.

I'm fairly certain that cap is a Simpson duravent pellet cap. They have discontinued that stuff and call it "Pellet Pro". The pellet pro will hook to the older stuff without any trouble.

To clean the siding... Know anyone with a pressure washer? Use that with siding cleaner, that would be your best bet I think.

It looks like you could put a Tee right on the end there without adding any extra horizontal pipe. With the Simpson Pellet Pro you only need a 1" air space clearance in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.