1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

harman accentra will not turn off

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by forya, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I just had my dealer come out and replace my control board on dec 22nd. Now I am trying to shut it down to clean it, and it won't stop feeding. I set the fan at off. then i set the temp all the way down and the feed rate all the way down. I let it run for 2 hours and it is still feeding. It won't stop. I now just flipped the switch to manual, and still nothing. Is there a dip switch that is wrong, or do you think I got a bad board from Harman?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I have read that is best to just let it run out of fuel. I hurry this along by emptying the hopper as much as possible. Still takes some time for it to shutdown though. Sometimes I need to turn the switch off on the surge suppressor but only if the stove is cold. The combustion blower will sometimes run for ever.
  3. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    [del]
  4. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    With my old board i used to just turn the temp dial to off and it would shut down. I have some guests coming over tonight and wanted to give it a good cleaning, and there is still a lot of pellets left in the hopper. It is a real pain to dig pellets out of this insert the hopper is set back. With the old board it used to shut down in auto mode when the temp was satisfied, I have the room temp at 55 now and it refuses to shut down
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Did you properly match the new board to the ESP with the dipswitches?
  6. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I would hope the dealer did. This was a warranty replacement, so I didn't do it. It should work just by turning the temp switch to off, right?
  7. wil lanfear

wil lanfear Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    vermont
    The electrical diagram shows a hopper lid switch that should stop the feeding of pellets when the lid is open, open it until the fire stops burning, unplug the stove when it stops burning, you can now clean the stove if you wish.
  8. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I could do that, but should I call the dealer in for another repair? wouldn't you risk a hopper fire that way? Isn't that why that safety switch is there?
  9. dingees

dingees New Member

Loc:
    NB,Canada
    probably your esp prope is bad and is stuck in the heat mode and is still calling for heat, if it is still feeding pellets. When he came , what was the reason for changing the board? Did he use a DDM or digital diagonistic meter which plugs into the control board and gives the readings of the (ESP) exhaust sensing prope? Is the probe clean also? if it has a lot of soot/ash on it it will get a false reading also.
    As far as letting the stove run out of pellets or unloading them, that seems a bit user unfriendly, my stove me go 24 hours before it runs out of pellets. they are meant to go off when you turn them off. it may take longer for some units as the last thing to go off is the combustion fan and the esp prope needs to get to about 95 degrees.
    there was a thread a will back and the combustion fan would not shut off ,the problem was the ignitor was staying on and not letting the esp cool down enough,had to replace control bd. if u opened the door the extra air flow was enough to cool the esp and the stove shut off.
  10. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I was getting 3 blinks. we replaced the esp probe and still got 3 blinks, He(dealer) plugged his ddm in and the brand new esp probe was showing 554 degrees and still giving 3 blinks. then a new board was ordered. I only burned about 15 bags, so i doubt the new esp is dirty. I haven't turned the stove off yet. this is the first time. I did let it run out of pellets last week to clean it. but I tried to shut it off this week and It won't.
  11. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    Does anyone know where the dip switches should be set? I have the ESP probe with the red wires
  12. dingees

dingees New Member

Loc:
    NB,Canada
    What were the readings with the new esp and the new board? another esp may be needed
  13. dingees

dingees New Member

Loc:
    NB,Canada
    # 5 dip switch should be turned ON
  14. dingees

dingees New Member

Loc:
    NB,Canada
    make sure feed rate dial is not turned to the test mode as then it will run in a on off mode all the time.
  15. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I'm not sure he checked after he replaced the board. There were also other problems to lead him into thinking it was the board the 1st time. I know that after he put the new board in the stove lit and ran. It wouldn't do that before he replaced the board.

The timeline went like this:
    Summertime: I had some repairs on the chimney done. had to extend the liner back up. Had my stove dealer recheck draft settings, everything was working, even though we never lit a fire.
    Oct: tried to light the stove for the first time. Got 3 blinks and the combustion fan would run constantly as soon as I plugged the stove in. It never lit.
    Nov: I ordered a ESP probe, but called the dealer because the stove is still within the 2 year warranty for the electronic parts and I didn't want to void that, so they came out to install it, but it still gave 3 blinks and the combustion fan still ran constantly, then he hooked up the ddm and saw all kinds of problems, so he ordered a new board.
    Dec: Installed the new board and everything seemed fine. Last week i let it run out of pellets and scraped the burnpot and stuff. This week I tried to turn it off, and it refuses to listen.
  16. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    These Accentras are a strange beast sometimes....let it run out of pellets, cool down, and if it doesn't shut down, unplug the stove for about one minute. Put the on/off knob in off and plug it back in. This will give it a "hard" reset. Do that and let us know what happens. While it's off give it a serious cleaning. Keep checking in, we want to help.
  17. PJPellet

PJPellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western NY
    x2 for the "hard" reset. That stove should shut off when you turn it off as you mentioned. Something's awry.
  18. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    Thats a good plan. I have 15 people coming over in a half hour, so this will have to wait until tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Thanks
  19. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    new to the pellet stove family and sorry i cant help but i love the fact that there is a lot of people out there that has the knowledge on these stoves and are willing to share just wanted to say thanks for all the info you guys are great. And good luck with your stove.
  20. dingees

dingees New Member

Loc:
    NB,Canada
    the red esp will only work with the control board # 5- 20-05886, if he replaced the old board then make sure this is the new seris, the # will be on the board. he may have pulled one from inventory thast will work on the other older models with a black or white wired esp probe .you will need to pull it out of the stove to check. make sure to unplug the power supply first.
  21. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    You can set DIP switch #5 to on, Yes?
  22. wil lanfear

wil lanfear Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    vermont
    I would call the dealer back, I suspect that the replacement control board, dip switch #5 is in the wrong position. I guess anything is possible with the hopper open. What was your procedure for adding pellets before the issue of not shutting down, was the off-on switch placed in the off position, wait for the fire to go out, add pellets, turn off-on switch to on??? The hopper lid switch does the same thing as the off-on switch, turns the power off to the auger, no more pellets feed into the burnpot, the combustion and distribution blowers will continue to run. I added a "burnpot service" switch to my boiler, wired it into the vac switch so when I want to clean the burnpot I put it the off position, auger stops feeding pellets, wait for the fire to go out, clean the burnpot.
  23. RKS130

RKS130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, NY
    How long have you been waiting after turning the room/stove temp switch to "Off"? My Accentra FS continues to feed pellets for a few minutes then slowly burns out (with both fans running) and is cool enough for a cleaning in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  24. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    I waited about 4 hours. I will open it up and look at the dip switch tomorrow.
    Wil, The problem is that the off switch is not working. I never tried to open the hopper door to get it to turn off. I am a little nervous about a hopper fire to leave the hopper lid open for a period of time.
    I usually don't turn it off before filling it with pellets. I only open the door as i dump and then i close it right away.
  25. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    Hard reset did it. This new board seems a little bit more sensitive then the old one.
    Thanks everybody as usual you knew how to fix it.
    TOM KW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.