Harman Advance Door Alignment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick5472

Oct 19, 2008
Columbia, MD
I opened the door to my stove last night to figure out how to install the log set. In doing so I noticed that the alignment was slightly off. It appears that the hinged side (left looking from front) seemed to be ok however the latch side (right) of the door hangs down farther than the hinged side. I can latch it shut but when I do, the door gets drawn up on the right and fits into position. Is this normal?

I am going to check mine today after work. Are you saying that once latched, it looks aligned and ok?

If so, then its probably not a problem as long as the door seals. I noticed that there is a significant amount of tension with the latch wich I assume is by design so that the door is held snug and sealed against the stove.

My door drops down a little but when you close it, the latch brings it up and tight to the frame.

I am figuring this is by design but wanted to get other takes on this stove door alignment. Mine seals tight just isn't supported very well at the hinges as my Regency wood stove was.

It's a big heavy bay door that puts a strain on the hinges when open...
mine was like this too.
when I cleaned the stove and it was gonna be down (open) for more than 30 minutes I would take it off and set it on some newspaper

My Astoria door does the same thing......hangs down a little when open, but goes right back into position when closed & latched.

It's normal. I do like GVA and take it off when I clean the stove. After getting the ash off of the log set with the shop vac, I take the log set off and let my wife clean the glass while I am working on the rest of the stove.

Yes,
The manual says:
"If the door is going to be opened for an extended period of time, it is suggested that it be removed (see Fig. 36) and set safely aside."
My opinion is that the crappy hing pin set up is just that. On a stove that cost as much as a used car the hinges should be thicker and welded to the unit.
When I lock mine shut it lines up but as a manner of design puts stress on the frail hinges.

Status
Not open for further replies.