Harman Advance door gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madhatter

Mar 11, 2011
Northampton County, PA
I believe my Harman Advance door gasket is at the point of needing replacement. It failed the dollar bill test across the top in the center during a recent cleaning and I have been noticing the flame is looking a little lazy. I have a length of new door and ash-pan gasket on hand that I picked up at the Harman dealer while getting other parts last fall. The ash-pan gasket replacement looks pretty straight forward, but I have a few questions about replacing the door gasket.

This model uses a "tadpole" style gasket on the door. Looking at the door tonight, it dawned on me that the same clamps that hold the "tail" of the door gasket also apply pressure on the glass sealing it via a second, smaller, rope gasket. I do not believe that I have any air leaks at this glass gasket and it appears to be pretty sound. Is it common practice to replace this gasket at the same time? Second, I am curious as to how the three pieces of glass seal where they butt together in the channels at the corners. Is there a seal in those channels or is just a snug fit between them and the glass?

Any advise on the tightening of the gaskets clamps would be welcomed as well, I am sure the glass panels are not cheap.

Thanks,
Madhatter

Surprised no one responded to this ... not my kind of beast so I am clueless on the clamps but hopefully the bump up helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.