Harman Advance- Everything is moving but no pellets feed!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herbsties

Sep 23, 2007
I have a 4 year old Harman Advance that i cannot get to feed pellets.
I have completely cleaned the stove including taking out the slide plate and cleaning all of the "gum"off of it . This stove has had about 13 ton of pellets burned in it. I vacuumed out the hopper -even made a hose to stick back around the corner where the pellets drop to the auger . As I feel back in there it feels quite gummy as well but I cannot get in there decently to clean it. everything is moving -the auger, and the slide plate but as the plate travels all the way in it seems to kind of catch a little and cause the whole feed mech. to "flex" sideways a little. I am guessing that there a a combination of pellets and pitch/gum plugging the feed end of the auger. Does this seem accurate? What is the solution? Does the auger need to be removed and cleaned? How big of a job is this ? Is it something I can do or do I need to pay my dealer to do it? If this isn't the problem what else could it be? Thank you for any help.

When you put the slide plate back in is the the lip facing up?

Yes the lip is facing up.

Yes i vacuumed out the catch box . Removed the slide feeder plate from inside the box and completely cleaned that as well.

you mentioned the slide plate was "gummy"? well, what can also happen with "gummy" feed mechanisms is a matrix of unburned pellets and "gum" causing a blockage above the auger, thereby not allowing pellets to fall down onto it......pull the auger, get a light, and look up into the auger opening. Also could it simply be pellet bridiging in the hopper?

is there a smoked/stained area around the slide plate and where it attaches to the hopper inside at the bottom of the hopper?i if your were to take the auger out of the stove fro mthe back you can look into the auger tube and up towards the drop feed area from the hopper there is a cavity for the pellets to drop and since you are describing a gummy residue I think you fine this area to be plugging up with pellets and wil be also like a gummy material of pellet fines and can be hard .This is blocking the pellets from dropping. they will refer to it as a "sticky stove" that your dealer should be aware of. this will need to be cleaned throughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.