Harman Advance "fluttering" problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletHog

Oct 28, 2007
Western MA
Earlier this year I bought a Harman Advance. Although the dealer has looked at it three times, they have not been able to correct the problem 100%, maybe you guys can help me out. When the stove is running on medimum to high, it makes a fluttering sound as if it has draft issues. This happens when the combustion blower goes on high. At first it was so bad the entire back of the stove would flutter (the same way a wood stove would if the draft was closed to much). He has adjusted the small combustion blower screw, messed with the outside air intake, but it still does it. Since the stove is in my living area, it is annoying while watching TV, it sounds like someone with a loud truck is parked outside running it under my window! It has done it since it was new and is not a cleaning issue. Anyone else has this problem? Thanks, Steve

PS: In the burn pot, what is the strip of material under the third set of holes from the front. It seems to be a flexiable strip blocking them. Is that the igniter?

You might want to check where the outside air intake hose connects to the back of the stove. Pull it out and put your hand inside to make sure the hinged door opens freely. If it doesn't open something might have gotten stuck during installation,,,,just give it a good push open to free whatever is keeping it closed. If the door doesn't open your burn pot will not receive air and your unit will shut down with blinking lights.

Best thing to do in this forum is to describe in detail your exhaust installation including lenth of pipes, number of elbows and how vented out of house. Someone more knowledgeable than I is sure to respond and offer suggestions.

yes describe your venting setup.
Cleaning regimign...
type of pellets...
was it draft tested by the dealer?
how old is it?EDIT.......sorry missed it in the post, how many tons have you burned in it....
If it is making that noise it is more likely an air leak......... Check your gaskets.....

You may also want to take the ash pan out and check the combustion blower housing plate that goes over the combustion blower. If that is not positioned properly this could stop the unit from getting proper air flow it needs for combustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.