Harman Advance Install advice / deal input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herbsties

Sep 23, 2007
I just purchased a new Harman Advance and should be receiving it in 3 or 4 weeks . I am tiling the corner under it , and will be installing myself. If anybody has any little known install tips for me please free to chime in . They would be greatly appreciated. I paid $3130 for the stove including paint , log set, all install parts, 1/2 ton of softwood pellets and a year membership to preferred pricing for pellets (7% over dealer cost currently $289/ton for softwood and $159/ton for (MARTH) hardwood pellets ) does this seem like an OK deal? Thanks for the input.

I don't know about the deal cause I got mine awile ago, but it seems reasonable depending on the amount of venting, location etc.
Describe your probable setup for the venting and how you want to run it as that is the hardest thing about installing the stove.
Pellets.......... those Marth are most likely standard grade at $100+ a ton less.. That is there will be more ash than premium grade pellets.
Ask away......
Hearth pad for the stove should be simple... I did 3/8" plywood then 1/2" durock then 1/4" ceramic tile and added oak edging.
I'll post a pic of mine later.
I skipped the log set. it will look good when the stove is not in use, but during operation the logs interfere with the airwash and the glass gets sooty pretty quick.

Are you using this stove for primary heat or supplemental.....
I think you'll love the Advance
Welcome to the forum
Here's a pic

Attachments

• advance stove.JPG
    advance stove.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 432
Thanks for the reply I will be doing a straight out vent (from a corner installation like yours) the pipe is one that exhausts out the middle and pulls the incomming air in around the outside to "pre-heat"the air . this stove will be for supplemental heat. Also, "he said" they were the premium grade pellets. And he is aware that I know the difference because I mentioned to him that I hual pellets out of the Marth plant in Marathon City , Wisconsin.

Hello Herbalou, I see in your post that you paid $3130 for the stove including paint. Are you saying for that kind of price you have to paint it yourself?
Don

No for that price he is going to paint it and fire it up for 2 days to cure the paint and make sure it is running right .He is also going to come to my house (about 40 miles) after I have my tileing done to make sure ii is ready for the stove. He will also come back after I install it to troubleshoot/ make adjustments no charge

I would buy the Marth then. There isn't much of a BTU difference between softwood and hardwood pellets..

The direct out vent no vertical rise...... I did the same, though not the ideal vent configuration it is approved. Just make sure you follow the minimum termination from combustibles, vegetation etc..... Sparks WILL come out of the vent.

Why is the dealer gonna paint it? Did you want a different color, or is he touching it up.
Cooking the stove before install is a good idea, my smoke detectors kept going off repeatedly for the first couple of fires. It's unnerving removing them from the area till the paint is cured.

Make sure when he comes back you get it draft tested.

GVA said:
I don't know about the deal cause I got mine awile ago, but it seems reasonable depending on the amount of venting, location etc.
Describe your probable setup for the venting and how you want to run it as that is the hardest thing about installing the stove.
Pellets.......... those Marth are most likely standard grade at $100+ a ton less.. That is there will be more ash than premium grade pellets.
Ask away......
Hearth pad for the stove should be simple... I did 3/8" plywood then 1/2" durock then 1/4" ceramic tile and added oak edging.
I skipped the log set. it will look good when the stove is not in use, but during operation the logs interfere with the airwash and the glass gets sooty pretty quick.

Welcome to the forum
Here's a pic
GVA what is with all the wires hanging one in the kitchen one going to the stove. ;-P

budman said:
GVA said:
Ask away......

Welcome to the forum
Here's a pic
GVA what is with all the wires hanging one in the kitchen one going to the stove. ;-P
Ahhh it was a prototype system to have the stove call me if anything was wrong.... :)
I was trying to compete with spikes summit at the time. Where is he anyway????

No the one by the stove is the temp sensor I like it up the wall a couple of feet stove seems to run better there than on the floor as the door behind it is to the basement and leaks a bit of cooler air up.
The phone wires tangled in the extinguisher I had shortened since then

GVA said:
budman said:
GVA said:
Ask away......

Welcome to the forum
Here's a pic
Ahhh it was a prototype system to have the stove call me if anything was wrong.... :)
I was trying to compete with spikes summit at the time. Where is he anyway????

No the one by the stove is the temp sensor I like it up the wall a couple of feet stove seems to run better there than on the floor as the door behind it is to the basement and leaks a bit of cooler air up.
The phone wires tangled in the extinguisher I had shortened since then
:coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.