Harman Advance right side STINK.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmaniac

Nov 22, 2008
Southeast MN
This is the 2nd year burning our used Harman Advance. Last year, no wood smell at all. For the last 2 weeks we have had to deal with a burnt pellet smell. When looking at the Advance, the smell only comes from the RIGHT side blower vent. It smells like burnt pellet about 35 minutes after start-up, when it's really cranking out the heat. A week ago I blew out the upper vents with the air compressor-nothing. I've opened the door, checked the seal(which seems to be fine), and smelled while door open, only to smell the burnt pellet smell coming out the right vent again. I also took back/right side panel off, and did find a "stuck" half burnt pellet right behind the back wall. My biggest question is, "Why would I be smelling the "smell" only from the right vent and not the others, since they are all one?

only thing I can come up with is the foreign object stuck on the airflow side of the heat exchanger.....I once took a melted crayon out of one....didnt blow out, of course, and when the stove got really hot, we'd get a weird smell......that was a $169 crayon!

I forgot to mention we have 3 munchkins running around that take quite an ownership putting pellets in the hopper. If there is a stuck pellet in the heat exchanger.......do I let it "burn/smolder" out over time-and enjoy the smell?

if you remove the distribution fan you may be able to vac out anyting that has settled to the bottom section of the heat exchanger. You may have to use something long and bendy to "coerse" anything in there to move towards the opening. If you have a pellet in there you may have some other things as well.
You are so lucky to have munchkins, out here we have gnomes and they don't sing songs or anything.

Delta-T said:
if you remove the distribution fan you may be able to vac out anyting that has settled to the bottom section of the heat exchanger. You may have to use something long and bendy to "coerse" anything in there to move towards the opening. If you have a pellet in there you may have some other things as well.
You are so lucky to have munchkins, out here we have gnomes and they don't sing songs or anything.

LOL!! Good stuff, but not 100% accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mY4OkECXhw

Delta-T said:

Youre lucky, Delta-T...all we have here are those damn gremlins....they dont sing, they dont dance, the only thing the Do try to do is mess things up....

Status
Not open for further replies.