Harman Advance still blinks 3 with new ESP Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The old wire was white. The new wire is black. From what I understand the red wire is for digital units, which I guess mine being an older serial number (like 4598) is analog. So I am pretty sure it is the right probe. The other sympton which I did not mention is that blower (not sure which one) seems to be kinda of surging then slowing down then surging. Not real sure how to describe it but this did not happen the last 2 years with this unit.
Control board dude!

Hi folks. This is the 3rd year I have had this stove. Vintage 1999. Ran great last 2 years. This year cleaned it top to bottom and started it up. Starts no problem. All blowers and motors seem fine. After about 10 minutes status light blinks continuously 3 times and stove just slows to a crawl hardly putting out any heat. Took 2 days to empty a half a hopper of pellets. So I again pulled off combustion chamber cover and vacuumed it out. Pulled ESP probe and cleaned it. Still same issue. So yesterday I took a ride to Stove Keepers in Brookline NH (nice folks) and dropped $73 on a new ESP probe. Put it in and restarted stove. After 10 minutes same 3 blinking lights. I am running in Stove Temp mode. If I throw it in Room temp mode the fire just dies within 10 minutes. Room temp sensor is plugged in and seems fine. I am thinking at this point could be a control board problem but don't want to drop $200+ and have it not be the solution. Any ideas?

Dave

If as you stated earlier that the wires on ESP had issues I would check the wires to the stove wall to the board for the room probe as well.
As he said, check the wires. Re the following post I thought that it was the board as well but replacing the room sensor cured my problem. You may indeed have more serious issues but it's your call.

Last edited:
If as you stated earlier that the wires on ESP had issues I would check the wires to the stove wall to the board for the room probe as well.

Folks, just a follow up to my Harman Advance problem. Took my board to Stove Keepers in Brookline NH (real knowledgeable folks there). Same place I bough the black wire ESP probe which did not solve the problem. Apparently my board is good but one cannot get the "white" wire ESP probe required for this board any more. Yes, white, not black or red. Stove is 15 years old. So I bought a new (more modern with diag port and everything) board ($200). Plugged it and stove has been roaring ever since. While I was in there I replaced the main door gasket. What a PITA that was. Must have been original. Nuts did not want to come off bolts holding the metal glass brackets on. Had to grind a few off and ended up using regular nuts and bolts and not replacing gold trim ring for now. Funny thing is tech told me to use screw driver to punch out metal for diag port for board so it is accessible. Of course the stove is so old it has no such punch out in the metal side panel. So I just mounted the board with the diag port hidden.

Reactions: Bioburner
Looking at your exh system and you are in the basement -goes up then horizontal out the wall- then up again. I would double check the horizontal going out the wall then look at that vertical pipe outside. When it gets real cold they can build up causing blockage due to temp extremes. I would double check those pipes as a process of elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.