Harman Advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfire

Jan 19, 2011
Vancouver
I have a Harman Advance that at one point was bucking the chain off the sprokets. I fixed that as the feeder assembly tube that attaches to the body of the unit was not cut square and forced the chain off. Now what Im getting it that chain climbs the sproket and clunks when it is pulled back down. Has anyone seen this and how do you fix it?

might have an obstruction in the feeder body, or a buildup of sawdust in the feeder (accessible through the hatch on the left side, facing front of stove, of the feeder body). this puts pressure on the slide plate assemble and the cam system that works the slide plate, as the bearing comes down across the cam it slips and bangs.

That would make sense however this is not a direct drive system. This has the chain driven system on the back. The unit is a few years old and Im trying to fix what someone else would not take care of. Any other ideas

the design of the feeder is very similar, direct or chain....if you haven't inspected the access hatch on the feeder body, I re-suggest it. the chain sprockets are connected to the cam as well as the auger.

3 things. remove sprockets and chain. turn auger by hand anmake sure it turns freely. check inside fine clean out behind auger motor and clean out if needed make sure arm moves up and down freely. then with the chain off oil it with a little motor oil you will probably find the chain is stiff from the oil and dust mixing and forming a gummy chain. if it real stiff you could probably clean it with brake cleaner outside and blow it off real good and the reoil. I have only run into one of these where the chain was jumping for no apparenr reason and lubing solved that. Make sure chai is straight when you put sprocket and chain back on.

Don't oil that chain all it will do is collect house dust harman doesn't want oil on it for that reason. If anything use a graphite dry lube. Remove the chain turn auger by hand and see if there is hard spots also make sure the sprockets are in line. Sometimes the the plastic idler isn't adjusted right or needs to be turned. The chain should have a 1/4" of deflection and not tight. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.