harman aid!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xjarcher

Dec 17, 2008
W. Michigan
P61a running well all year, suddenly tonight it makes a sound like a circular saw shutting down and stops burning. No diagnostic light blinking at all. I reset it and everything lights up but no motors turn. All motor fans spin freely. Auger will move both directions so it's not bound up. Cleaned thoroughly last week. I will work on it tomorrow when it's cooled and would like a suggestion or two as to where I might start.
Thanks!

Need to determine why the combustion blower motor is not running when powered on, I would start by unplugging the stove, remove the control board checking the white plug that is on the back of the controller making sure that it is completely plugged in, in fact, I would gently unpug it and than gently plug it back in. Next, re-attatch the controller to the stove, power the stove up to see if the combustion fan motor runs. If it runs, the stove should start feeding pellets for combustion. If the combustion motor doesn't run, you need to determine if the motor is receiving power from the controller using a multi-meter. The combustion fan motor needs to be running to close the contacts on the vac switch which will allow the auger to run, feeding pellets to the burnpot for ignition.

xjarcher said:
P61a running well all year, suddenly tonight it makes a sound like a circular saw shutting down and stops burning. No diagnostic light blinking at all. I reset it and everything lights up but no motors turn. All motor fans spin freely. Auger will move both directions so it's not bound up. Cleaned thoroughly last week. I will work on it tomorrow when it's cooled and would like a suggestion or two as to where I might start.
Thanks!

No motors turning and no error lights, bad snap switch perhaps? If you connect the combustion motor directly to AC does it run? Do you own a multi-meter? Check for voltage at the motor, if none start looking at snap switches.

Thanks for the information, I will be tearing into it in the next hour and will report my findings. Multimeter and other tools are standing by.

I have it up and running!!!!
checked all electronic items and all were fine. I went back to the "noise" that it made when it died and started inspecting carefully. I found that the combustion fan was loose! It had slid on the shaft and was up against the clean out plate and would only move a small amount. Reassembled properly and it fired right up!! Ironic it came loose so easily-- I removed it at last cleaning and it took a LOT of work to remove it. Now when I don't want it to come loose it does.

No motors turning and no error lights, bad snap switch perhaps? If you connect the combustion motor directly to AC does it run? Do you own a multi-meter? Check for voltage at the motor, if none start looking at snap switches.
FWIW
, no snap switches in the Harmans.

Status
Not open for further replies.