harman augar squeak won't stop!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronnoel

Dec 12, 2010
southernct
every seanson, it seems, my stove squeaks when my augar is activated. It happens at the end of the season usually. I solve it by removing all my pellets and vac out my slide plate and puff in some powder graphite, as well as scrape me burn pot. That usually does the trick.I always blamed bad pellets with lots of fines for the squeal, however this year I'm burning green bag energex, I find these pellets to be good with low fine levels.My squeal is back and comes back quickly after my slide plate has been cleaned out.Does anyone have a reason this happens? If so is there anything else I should do to solve this? It's driving me crazy! I bought my Harman because I was told that it could burn anything and that may be true but it seems it cant even handle pricey pellets without squealing, seems a bit nuts.

Yup, mine is new with 1/2 ton burned and I also have the squeak. I would really like to know how Harman tells it's dealers how to address this issue, seems really common. Waiting from call back from dealer to set up service appt.

I'll get a squeak every once in a while due to build up of creosote in the burnpot at the auger opening. My take is that the auger is rubbing up against the creosote and squealing. My solution, more frequent cleanings, and once every other week, I turn off the stove and make sure that the auger opening in the burn pot is clear of any build up. I take a flash light to help identify where the build up is, as it is sometimes hard to see around the outside edge of that auger opening, but that's where the end of the auger is constantly rubbing up against something.

Good luck.

Since its been so warm lately, have you been running the stove on low a lot?

When my P68 starts squeaking, I put it on stove temp, turn it up to 5 and let her rip. Usually burning it hot for 30-45 minutes takes care of it.

When cleaning the end of the auger tube, I use the "test" selection to turn the auger is segments so I can thoroughly clean the end of the auger tube.

We DID have a problem earlier this year where we had carbon building up at the back end of the auger tube. Dealer had to take it apart to clean it. This problem was due to the pellets, which were replaced. However, one thing that did help us keep the stove running while waiting for the dealer appointment, was to do a "high burn" where we burn the stove at about 90 degrees for 20 minutes or so, one day I burned it at about 78 degrees all day (yeah, chomped some pellets), but this helps to burn off any carbon that didn't get removed from the cleaning. That might help you. Cleaning out the slide plate never did anything to resolve our squeaking issues. One time (or many) I called the dealer about the squealing & he said don't touch it, we need to hear it. So we shut the stove down & waited for them to come out. He couldn't believe how awful it was when he turned the stove on! Another problem could be if the auger isn't aligned properly & it's rubbing on the housing.

The XXV stove is a great stove when it's running properly, but it seems to be extremely "carbon sensitive".

Hope you find the solution to this problem soon!

This is the result of lower fires burning back in on the end of the auger tube a bit. The new crossover air tube kit ($11 retail) takes care of this issue. Also, try some ACS spray on your pellets: it will make that hard carbon fluff up and scrape off with the natural action of the auger and pellets moving thru the tube.

I was thinking about getting some ACS. But where does it stop, I'll need a box just for stove maint. crap... I understood that I would have to maintain by cleanings as such but when I can't sleep or the wifey can't then I'm burned... Me, my opinion, this should not be happening, I don't care what pellet brand I use and how low I have the flame. I ran it on #5 for 1/2 hour, it went away but shortly came back. Seems funny, when I called the dealer the sales person immediately thought the bearings were bad, so I left it at that, but no call back as yet. summit, what is this crossover tube kit you mention? Mine is new this year. Tell you what right now I'm glad I didn't do the extra $ for a P43.

spoke with my dealer today, he seems to think a few things can be the cause. First he thought maybe it's the screw in the back on the augar arm that spins around, he says he's seen that hit while turning and make a sqeek sound, told me to bend that arm if it is touching, I don't think I'll be doing that, it doesn't seem logical.Also says it could be carbon build up at the end of my augar , that seems logical except after I remove my pellets and clean out the slide plate the squeel goes away I would think if it were carbon in the augar it would still be there. Anyway I look at it, it should not be happening at all, and it seems that the Harman dealer folks don't really know the cause even though it seems to be happening with alot of there stoves.

1. clean fines box
2. try hotter fire for bit
3. Smack the back of the auger motor assembly.

Really, 1 and 2 usually work for me, but I had to resort to 3 last spring and it worked like a charm.

I notice it happens most frequently when burning soft wood pellets on low settings.

AND BTW - Relax, anything with metal moving parts is going to squeak. Didn't any of you own a radio flyer when you were a kid?

Dealer called today and talked to my other half. Said 1) squeak is the pellets we are using, answer- using pellets you sell-oh 2) you have a buildup of dust or fines- no we don't just cleaned and the pellets are filtered before loading-oh. 3) there are lot of different noises to get used to- maybe so, blower on my coal stove made some noise, however the P38 in the show room never made any of "these" noises, we spent a lot of time there, two visits in fact. Hey if some Harman owners are OK with this that's fine. Me not happening. Tech coming here tomorrow, I'm sure that he'll say all is normal. So then I'll have to figure whats next...

9 out of 10 times, its a carbon mass, i know, you've heard that one before, but bear with me. the round auger hole, mates to a square burnpot..carbon tends to build up in those 2 lower corners of the burnpot and grow outward toward the auger hole. the leading edge of the auger usually protrudes a bit into the burnpot and rubs against the auger tip as it passes through the corners. I like to stick a flat head screwdriver in the corner and whack it with my palm (jackhammer style) and it pops out. those carbon masses tend to disguise themselves as "piece of metal, I'm supposed to be here". the other 1 out of 10 times, at least recently, is the auger actually a bit out of alignment in its tube. the "eye" shaped retainer just needs to be loosened and retightened so the auger sits in there real straight like. good luck with technician.

Auger motor squeaking, replaced warranty.

mascoma said:
1. clean fines box
2. try hotter fire for bit
3. Smack the back of the auger motor assembly.

Really, 1 and 2 usually work for me, but I had to resort to 3 last spring and it worked like a charm.

I notice it happens most frequently when burning soft wood pellets on low settings.

AND BTW - Relax, anything with metal moving parts is going to squeak. Didn't any of you own a radio flyer when you were a kid?

I traced the auger squeak to the fines box. Found it by pushing on the auger shaft while the squeak was happening.
Was able to alter the sound. So...I cleaned the fines box and sprayed some WD-40 in that area. Squeak stopped almost immediately.
Next time will get some graphite or similar in there.

I had many squeaky toys,bikes and wagons too!!

Thanks for that old post, I've done alot so far to stop my squeal but never lubed the inside moving parts of the fines box. What I have found to work for me this spring is to remove my auger and scrape carbon biuld-up from auger tube. That worked until it didn't anymore, so I took out auger once again and really didn't do anything
, there was no build up in tube or any where else. The squeal went away however, so I credit the fix this time with taking out the pellets and cleaning out slide plate area. I wonder if I should burn only super ultra premium pellets, like Cubex or Barefoot hardwood, this year only used Energex green bag blend of hard and soft wood, maybe makes carbon at low settings to easy.

I've found that the annoying squeak usually has to do with the auger rubbing on the feeder tube near the back. As carbon builds you end up with a very subtle rub. It is a simple fix using a small flat file. I understand it is a PITA if you are not use to pulling things apart, but it really isn't a very big deal to solve. Harman may even reimburse your dealer to do it under warranty. I get reimbursed 5 or 6 times a year for this same issue.

This year, I had the squeaking issue for the first time (after 4 years of silence). I pulled the stove apart, looked for fines, lubed everything I could find, but eventually determined it was carbon build-up.

My solution? I switched to a different brand of pellets (a hardwood pellet) and the squeak stopped within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.