Harman auto shut down on UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MikeinRI

Jan 11, 2013
West Greenwich RI
Can anyone confirm or better yet explain how a Harman while plugged into a UPS knows its on battery power and will go into shutdown mode?

Thanks

You are talking about plugging your stove into a every day UPS?

Ok I'll try to explain what I have been told/read. If you use the approved APC750 UPS the electronics in a Harman can tell when the power has failed and the stove is on battery power. Somehow it them goes into shut down mode. I maintain almost 100 computers at work and they all require a wired connection from the UPS to computer to shut down on a failure. I have a 65K Cat generator that power everything and the transfer happen inunder 10 seconds so we never see a shut down.

Never heard of that

From my on line manual

P43 Pellet Stove
addendum
Minimizing Smoke during loss of Power using battery back-up
harmanTM strongly recommends installing battery back-up to minimize entry of smoke into the
room in the event of power loss.
Your pellet/biomass burning appliance relies on a combustion blower to remove exhaust. A power failure
will cause the combustion blower to stop. This may lead to exhaust seeping into the room. Vertical rise in
the venting may provide natural draft. It is, however, no guarantee against leakage.
there are two harmanTM approved battery back-up options for your appliance:
uninterruptible Power Supply (uPS) UPS battery back-ups are available online or at computer and
office equipment stores. Your HarmanTM appliance with Rev E or later software available beginning in
November 2010 may be plugged directly into a HarmanTM approved UPS:
• The APC (American Power Conversion) model #BE750G and the TrippLite model
INTERNET750U are tested and approved. Other brands or models may not be compatible.
When power is lost, a fully charged UPS will power a safe, combustion blower only shut-down. Your
appliance will pulse the blower every few seconds to clear exhaust until the fire is out. nOte: the uPS
provides safe shut-down only. it is not intended for continued operation.
Your appliance will recognize when power is restored. What happens depends on ESP temperature and
whether it is equipped with automatic ignition:
• in “automatic” setting, units equipped with automatic ignition will respond to the set point and
ESP temperature and resume normal operation.
• in “Manual” setting or for units without automatic ignition:
• If the ESP is cool, the appliance will remain shut down.
• If the fire is out and the ESP is still warm, the feeder may restart. Since the fire is out, the
ESP temperature will not rise. The unit will then shut-down, and may flash a six-blink status
error. (See ESP error codes)
• If the fire is still burning, it will resume normal operation.
Contact your dealer if you have questions about UPS compatibility with your appliance.
harman Surefire 512h battery back-up The 512H connects to a 12 volt deep cycle battery that will run
your appliance for up to eight (8) hours. It includes a trickle charge feature that keeps your battery
charged when power is available. nOte: if the power is out for longer than battery life, smoke
leakage may still occur unless your stove has been safely shut down.
cautiOn! always keep appliance doors and hopper lid closed and latched during
operation and during power failures to minimize risk of smoke or burn-back.
cautiOn! use only harmantM approved battery back-up devices. Other products may not
operate properly, can create unsafe conditions or damage your appliance.

This might explain things

"USB port with PowerAlert monitoring software and cabling enables a safe, unattended system shutdown. HID-compliant USB interface enables integration with built-in power management and auto-shutdown features of Windows and Mac OS X."

Likely this can be what is used, you can talk to a Harman dealer and there is also nothing that prevents the signaling from taking place over the power line. This would reduce things to just a normal power cable.

Boo Boo,

Thats the same for my P61A. I'd like to know if anyone has one and how well it works?

My stove has a build date of Jan 2012 so I hope to have a compatible version of the software.

"Your HarmanTM appliance with Rev E or later software available beginning in
November 2010 may be plugged directly into a HarmanTM approved UPS:
• The APC (American Power Conversion) model #BE750G and the TrippLite model
INTERNET750U are tested and approved. Other brands or models may not be compatible".

"When power is lost, a fully charged UPS will power a safe, combustion blower only shut-down. Your
appliance will pulse the blower every few seconds to clear exhaust until the fire is out. nOte: the uPS
provides safe shut-down only. it is not intended for continued operation.
Your appliance will recognize when power is restored. What happens depends on ESP temperature and
whether it is equipped with automatic ignition:
• in “automatic” setting, units equipped with automatic ignition will respond to the set point and
ESP temperature and resume normal operation.
• in “Manual” setting or for units without automatic ignition:
• If the ESP is cool, the appliance will remain shut down.
• If the fire is out and the ESP is still warm, the feeder may restart. Since the fire is out, the
ESP temperature will not rise. The unit will then shut-down, and may flash a six-blink status
error. (See ESP error codes)
• If the fire is still burning, it will resume normal operation."

Interesting. Thanks.. Anyone test this system??

Ok I'll try to explain what I have been told/read. If you use the approved APC750 UPS the electronics in a Harman can tell when the power has failed and the stove is on battery power. Somehow it them goes into shut down mode. I maintain almost 100 computers at work and they all require a wired connection from the UPS to computer to shut down on a failure. I have a 65K Cat generator that power everything and the transfer happen inunder 10 seconds so we never see a shut down.
Reading more into this it will only run the exhaust fan for a short period of time to eliminate smoke from the stove (very short battery life when used). It will not run the stove. If your generator kicks in after seconds there shouldn't be an issue with smoke. These can also be used as a surge protector as well

B000Z80ICM_03.png
Agreed. It's not meant to run the stove for a long period of time. It appears our Harmans draw about 100 watts in a normal running mode/ 450 watts while ignniting. @ 100 watts the approved 750 model UPS that are rated @ 450 watts have a run time arounf 40 minutes. Thats plenty of time for a shut down.

this is in the new manual

Attachments

• harman ups.JPG
    harman ups.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 872
Ok I'll try to explain what I have been told/read. If you use the approved APC750 UPS the electronics in a Harman can tell when the power has failed and the stove is on battery power.

I have an APC750 and keep my Harman plugged in all the time and have no problems. I lost power about a month ago and the stove ran fine on the battery back up. I just use the backup to shut down the stove not to run it. but it was running for 5 minutes untill I started the shut down mode my self.

I agree if your home its a perfect solution. I'm worried about no one at home and if the P61A will shut down as stated in the tech bulliten.

I agree if your home its a perfect solution. I'm worried about no one at home and if the P61A will shut down as stated in the tech bulliten.

the manual says that it will shut itself off and only pulse the blower motor to push out the smoke. i have never tried to do it. If someone else has they will let us know. I would try it but I broke my leg and cant walk and the ups and plug for my stove is in my garage. when i am able to walk i will try it and post my results if noone is able to do it before me..

It appears our Harmans draw about 100 watts in a normal running mode/ 450 watts while ignniting

Have you done a draw test to see actual watts used ..??

As long as you have an E series board the board can use the backup power for a shut down only by pulsing the combustion motor for the complete shut down only.

My guess is that the contol board sees the square wave from the NON-sine wave battery backup and initiates the "emergency shutdown" proceedure. For those that paid extra for a pure sine backup you might have a problem with the stove recognizing the backup...bummer.

I have a 2009 model, but this is still exciting news since I picked up a spare control board off Ebay a while back ($110 shipped!!!) and it is the E version. So, for the cost of the board and the cheap power supply, I have a fool proof backup...nice!

Thanks for post this or I probably never would have known.

My guess is that the contol board sees the square wave from the NON-sine wave battery backup and initiates the "emergency shutdown" proceedure. For those that paid extra for a pure sine backup you might have a problem with the stove recognizing the backup...bummer.

I have a 2009 model, but this is still exciting news since I picked up a spare control board off Ebay a while back ($110 shipped!!!) and it is the E version. So, for the cost of the board and the cheap power supply, I have a fool proof backup...nice!

Thanks for post this or I probably never would have known.

That is probably how they are doing it. I know APC has some nifty backups that can detect if you say turn the TV off it can turn off the blu ray etc, so I was wondering how it was telling the stove to shutdown without a wire lol

I have an APC 750 that has a true sine wave not sure if it will initiate shut down. will try it on a warmer day lol and see what happens

Is it built after November 2010? needs that E version firmware on the control board that was released 11/2012

I wonder how the stove knows its on ups? I emailed Harman and they gave me a tech to email and i am waiting for a response I don't have a ups that was tested by harman but I have a smart APC 750 but it has a true sine wave not sure if it will power off the stove will test it when the weather warms up and the leg heals

Any updates on this? What happens if you only lose power for under 2 seconds? My power quality is terrible and sometimes I lose power for a few seconds. BUT when I do lose power I lose it for several hours. So basically, are these stoves smart enough to know that power is back on and to continue the fire or does it just shut it down completely even if power is restored?