Harman auto shut down on UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That draws a good question, does it know not to start when on battery-power? I think it's time that someone does an "all points" test with a factory approved model to see what happens in all these conditions.

-if the power is restored in 2 minutes and the fire is going, will it carry on without shutting down?

-does it know not to activate the autoignition if the fire out and it's on battery power

Id really like to know how smart the logic is with the control board.

Just to confirm, I tested your questions and the logic is on point. If it has not fully put the fire out yet and the power is restored, it goes right back to normal operation. It will not autoignite on battery power, it will only shut the unit down safely.

Reactions: P38X2
I simulated a power outage on our P68 that's connected to a CyberPower AVR825 - a non-true sine wave UPS (Amazon link ... Costco link). This is the same UPS I've had connected to my Mac for three years. It worked just as the manual states and automatically began to shutdown, pulsing the combustion blower every few seconds. Once power was restored to the UPS, and since a small fire was still burning, it began normal operation.

So it would appear that the auto shutdown process works with non-true sine wave units (which are less expensive than the true sine wave models). I am still waiting for Harman to answer the questions I posted on their Facebook page concerning UPS's.

Perhaps we just need to start a list here showing which UPS's work with auto shutdown, but I'm guessing just about anyone will work.

Reactions: P38X2
Hi guys,

Were you able to get this question answered by Harman (an actual method of detection of backup power)?
I have 3 units just installed and want to be well prepared for the next winter season.

My 61A goes through the shut down procedure on an APC PRO 1000.

I guess it should work in this case same way from any 300W+ unit with square output.

Like this one for instance: Tripp Lite INTERNET600U - 600VA
or this: APC Back-UPS ES BE550G 550VA 330W

Just my 2 cents.Pretty obvious harman board detects non pure sine wave.Very basic system,goes into shutdown,unless stove controls switched other way,would just keep running.Most electronics do not care about sine wave pattern,volltage spikes are what do the damage.Electrics do care about sine wave--IE- motors,especially vfd speed control motors.Therefore if you just want stove to gently shut down,anything will work.If you want to run stove,make sure it is true sine,invertor or generator.Most of this info can be found on threads in this forum.

Just my 2 cents.Pretty obvious harman board detects non pure sine wave.Very basic system,goes into shutdown,unless stove controls switched other way,would just keep running.Most electronics do not care about sine wave pattern,volltage spikes are what do the damage.Electrics do care about sine wave--IE- motors,especially vfd speed control motors.Therefore if you just want stove to gently shut down,anything will work.If you want to run stove,make sure it is true sine,invertor or generator.Most of this info can be found on threads in this forum.

I know that to run it continuously I need sine wave and I have my Honda generator for it but to shut it dow properly in case of power outage I need a square wave UPS.

I know that to run it continuously I need sine wave and I have my Honda generator for it but to shut it dow properly in case of power outage I need a square wave UPS.
Yeah it is kind of dumb as most ups have data port and can do a soft pc shutdown,and harmans have a data port,a dollars worth of programming would be nice(and a cable).

My Harman approved UPS does the same as advertised. However if the fire is too low it will not go into a auto ignite. However if you manually turn the unit to off and turn it on again it will auto ignite. The batter time should give me enough time to start my Honda generator and plug the UPS into the generator before battery dies. The Harmon is the only thing I have plugged into the UPS. I have a second UPS on my second stove as well. Safety when gone is why I bought the approved UPS's.

I have a pre-2010 Harman P68. I lost power for 4 days last Christmas, scrambled to get a generator before the entire city sold out. I picked up a Champion generator (not an inverter type) and it ran my stove flawlessly until power was restored. Not ideal conditions, but it kept us warm. I decided this year that I would buy a UPS to go between the generator and the stove. I don't need the UPS to run the stove, but I want it to condition the power the stove receives from the generator. I just picked up an APC Back-UPS Pro 1300. Documentation calls the waveform a "stepped approximation to a sinewave" My question is, will having this UPS protect the electronics in my stove while running off a generator...or do I need something different (I'm not buying a new genny).

I replaced my APC batteries with a pair of 90AH marine batteries which gives me about 8 - 10 hours of runtime. My stove isn't setup for APC use so I had to get creative. I use a low voltage detector to cut power to the auger if the batteries get too low which will shut the stove down.

Reactions: Heat Slinger
I have a pre-2010 Harman P68. I lost power for 4 days last Christmas, scrambled to get a generator before the entire city sold out. I picked up a Champion generator (not an inverter type) and it ran my stove flawlessly until power was restored. Not ideal conditions, but it kept us warm. I decided this year that I would buy a UPS to go between the generator and the stove. I don't need the UPS to run the stove, but I want it to condition the power the stove receives from the generator. I just picked up an APC Back-UPS Pro 1300. Documentation calls the waveform a "stepped approximation to a sinewave" My question is, will having this UPS protect the electronics in my stove while running off a generator...or do I need something different (I'm not buying a new genny).

The UPS won't work off of the generator. Try it and find out. It goes nuts with modified sine wave input.

So, is an inverter generator my only option, or is there another way to use my "dirty power" generator to safely power my stove?

So, is an inverter generator my only option, or is there another way to use my "dirty power" generator to safely power my stove?
I have a UPS just to assist with shut down in a power failure. When I'm using generator power (non-inverter) I run the boiler for heat. No need to risk damaging the pellet stove.

Reactions: Heat Slinger
Consider researching consumer grade "power conditioning" devices. There used to be UPS boxes made by BestPower (bought out by Eaton) that would run directly off of the batteries ALL the time; there was no "switching over". We discovered this benefit when I worked I.T. at a 911 dispatch center. Our APC units would constantly switch to the generator and then the 60KW diesel generator would overload and automatically shut off parts of the grid then reset then (repeat). This went on for hours until they just unplugged the UPS units completely. The BestPower units fixed this problem completely.

I have a APC 1200SmartUPS that conditions the output power; one of these day's I'll dig it out of the basement, install new batteries, and test it out on generator power. You might want to checkout some other forums for computer nerds who might know for a fact what UPS units are good for generator units.

The better APC's you can adjust the parameters: voltage/freq, the unit will accept before it rejects the source as clean power.

My XXv is 2014 shuts down as describe on a power outage when using Easton 3S UPS 750 as described in the manual pulsing blower only.

Last edited: