1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman average flame height

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by AddictiveStew, Apr 29, 2013.

1. AddictiveStew

AddictiveStew Member

Loc:
    PA
    Been loving the pellet stove so far! I know it's almost over but she's been a lifesaver in this shoulder season. House stays nice and toasty! My question is... what is the optimum flame height? Mine varies between 3 inches high all the way to touching the tubes. I think I have her dialed in to right around 6" or so. Is that where I want to be? I've searched this forum and Google and can't seem to find a straight answer. I do that, then I see pictures on Harman's site of their stoves running with a bigger flame. What say you, pellet heads?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Depends on your pellets and how much you heat you ideally need... All the feed rate does is control the MAXIMUM feed rate AKA BTU output.

On max feed rate my fire always touches the tubes.

On 3ish probably 4-6 inch flame on average?

I typically run 3-4 feed rate like everyone else, until temperatures start dropping to the -10 through -40s, which is when I max the feed rate because I need it.
  3. AddictiveStew

AddictiveStew Member

Loc:
    PA
    Gotcha. I had to tweak some things to get the feed rate correct (long story, frankenstein stove)... but now on 3 I get about a 6" flame. Glad to know I can kick the thing on high if I want with no worries. I didn't know if there was anything to worry about with a big flame in there.