Harman battery backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
Harman's website and YouTube videos offer three 'approved' options for power loss. The obvious generator, their own battery Harman 512h, and two different UPS (uninterrupted power supply ). I have my Accentra hooked up to a UPS but have never tested the loss of power and fortunately have not had it running while losing power.. Has anyone had experience with how the UPSs actually works? Does it continue to run the stove or does it trick it into a shut down and just run the exhaust fan?
There isn't much more information given through their website. Here is a video

Last edited:
I have a St Croix hooked up to an APC with (2) 90aH marine batteries wired in. It gives me about 8 hours of runtime in a power failure.

Reactions: AccentraRRT
Harman's website and YouTube videos offer three 'approved' options for power loss. The obvious generator, their own battery Harman 512h, and two different UPC (uninterrupted power conversion). I have my Accentra hooked up to a UPC but have never tested the loss of power and fortunately have not had it running while losing power.. Has anyone had experience with how the UPCs actually works? Does it continue to run the stove or does it trick it into a shut down and just run the exhaust fan?
There isn't much more information given through their website. Here is a video

It does exactly that. The control board will pick up the stepped modified sine wave from the UPS and switches the stove to an emergency shut down mode, which pulses the combustion blower until the fire goes out and stove cools down.

Thanks! I appreciate all your help. Will probably have a generator installed next spring but wanted to be prepared for how this actually works.

It does exactly that. The control board will pick up the stepped modified sine wave from the UPS and switches the stove to an emergency shut down mode, which pulses the combustion blower until the fire goes out and stove cools down.

Is this true for all Harman stoves? There's nothing in my Accentra manual that mentions this feature.

Is this true for all Harman stoves? There's nothing in my Accentra manual that mentions this feature.

Depends on the control board revision you have. I think it's from Rev D. or newer it'll pick up on the stepped sine wave.

How do you know what the board version is? Here's a pic of mine HarmanAccentra_board.jpg

I guess a good thing about having to replace the control board on the stove this week is to take advantage of the shutdown feature. I just wished it didn't have to cost $250.

Reactions: jackman
Harman's also work with other apc backups. As long as it's a modified sine wave it works. The one I bought was not listed in the manual but pulling the plug during a burn and it goes into shutdown mode as it should.

Interesting and, as my Accentra is only a couple of months old, I presume is has that feature. I had a power hiccup of +/- one second, no issues but I ordered an APC UPS the next day. If it goes into shut-down mode and then I fire up the generator, would this device be smart enough to resume normal operation?

Interesting and, as my Accentra is only a couple of months old, I presume is has that feature. I had a power hiccup of +/- one second, no issues but I ordered an APC UPS the next day. If it goes into shut-down mode and then I fire up the generator, would this device be smart enough to resume normal operation?
As far as I am aware, yes. once "normal" power is restored the UPS resumes normal function. I would assume that the pellet stove would resume normal function as well as long as there was still a flame. A simple test would be to unplug the UPS while running the stove, the plug back in a few minutes later. If it continues in shut down mode, it would just be as simple as spinning the knob to off then back to your typical setting.
Maybe someone else has some better insight, or another good question to send to Harman.

If the switch is in auto it will relight even if the fire has gone out. Confirmed this on my P61A.

My P68 will stay in shutdown mode even if I plug it back in. All you have to do is turn the dial to off and back to stove or room temp mode to reset it. Probably a safety factor in case power goes on and off multiple times to make sure enough juice in the UPS to shut down the stove completely. Important if you were away from home.

My P68 will stay in shutdown mode even if I plug it back in. All you have to do is turn the dial to off and back to stove or room temp mode to reset it. Probably a safety factor in case power goes on and off multiple times to make sure enough juice in the UPS to shut down the stove completely. Important if you were away from home.

not sure if I'm doing this reply properly, but I'll give it a try.
I have a harman 52i, I have been trying to get it to run on a inverter,i've tried two different inverters that have a modified sine wave, when I plug it in the fans will start for the two second run and then the power light continues to stay on, all is well.
but when I try to start the stove nothing happens. apparently This stove will not run on a modified sine wave. but from what I understand the Harman 512h has a stepped sine wave. needless to say this is starting to get a bit confusing. if the stove goes into an automatic shutdown with a modified sine wave, then how can it run for eight hours on it? any thoughts?
thanks!

If you look around a bit for generator under a keyword search of the forum, you'll see a ton of postings re inverter generators and pure sine waves and many folks noting using the Honda and Yamaha models. I've been thinking these over as a true emergency power system for my pellet stove in the event of a snow/ice driven power outage, but I haven't made a backup power decision yet. I did purchase the APC model above (I think its the BE750-G) and its up and working etc. Hope this is helpful.

Just a late FYI, I installed a XG8000e generator to power some of my house, less the pellet stove which im working on a solution for. I did buy and install a small UPS BE750G to shut down the stove if power goes out. The Just FYI is, I tested it, it worked as advertised, and the stove automaticly started back up when norm power was restored. I run it in room temp, so I dont know why your unit did not restart its-self.
-Rockbase-

Depends on the control board revision you have. I think it's from Rev D. or newer it'll pick up on the stepped sine wave.
The New boards started in Nov. 2010 as Rev. E. So anything newer than 2010 will have the new board. You can tell by the white sticker on the back of the board with the date. My old one has 2005. The new board I put in if I remember correctly has Rev. E on it. Also the restart of a store with the Rev. E board is controlled by the ESP temperature. If the ESP reads sufficient temperature it will restart when power is restored. If it goes below a certain temp. it will shut off and stay off until reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.