Harman blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
Hey guys. A friend of mine is having problems with his combustion blower on his Harman stove. The book says to give it six drops of oil each year. He has never oiled it because he cannot locate the ports. He is pretty sure a good oiling will fix the problem. Any idea where these are located on the blower?

and I thought I knew the manual pretty well....didnt know there were oil ports (dont think there are!)

this is also news to me. I've never oiled a single motor on any Harman.

I pull my motors apart, clean & lube them once a year, Ialso add grease to gearbox.

Bill Bennion said:
I pull my motors apart, clean & lube them once a year, Ialso add grease to gearbox.

you are my hero, Bill! In actuality, the bearings on the blower are all sealed, and there are no oil ports to oil. Good gosh, we cant get folks to CLEAN the stoves, let alone remove the fan shields and actually OIL them!

Lousyweather said:
Bill Bennion said:

you are my hero, Bill! In actuality, the bearings on the blower are all sealed, and there are no oil ports to oil. Good gosh, we cant get folks to CLEAN the stoves, let alone remove the fan shields and actually OIL them!

I'm a service tech, what can I say!

Bill B said:
Have you been told that voids your warranty? The gearbox on my p68 froze up, I pulled it apart and discovered a bearing has disintegrated, when I reported this I was told by my dealer the gearbox is a "sealed unit" (it's clearly not) and I was up the creek as far as the warranty goes. I believe I can install a bushing in place of the bearing (more durable anyway in my opinion) but needless to say I am extremely upset.......Anyone else have such an issue?

Oil parts? Could you please give some.details and pics next time you do it so we can all do it? Pleeeease

I usually put a drop on the end of the shaft when I think about it
and on the bushing down by the fan cage
seems to help I guess

mrlee,
Did your dealer really say that servicing the gear box would void the warranty? (although I'm not surprised) Maybe you could try Harman and see what happens. I've given my dealer a lot of my money, and I am very happy w/ the Harman product (a PF100 furnace), but I have little to no faith that my dealer would assist me with matters like this without extracting more profit and eliminating any of his personal responsibility with the result. In my personal limited experience so far, he seems to be nothing more than a product conduit, a means to an end. I understand your frustration. Personally, I have no expectations of my dealer. Besides, if he is taking that position you're better off fixing it yourself or hiring a good tech on your own. Just my opinion.

mrlee said:
Bill B said:
Have you been told that voids your warranty? The gearbox on my p68 froze up, I pulled it apart and discovered a bearing has disintegrated, when I reported this I was told by my dealer the gearbox is a "sealed unit" (it's clearly not) and I was up the creek as far as the warranty goes. I believe I can install a bushing in place of the bearing (more durable anyway in my opinion) but needless to say I am extremely upset.......Anyone else have such an issue?
WOW, that's the kind of dealer we all need to be warned of & stay away from in droves! They can get you a warranty replacement part on anything they want withing the stated time period, it's all up to them. Important to find someone you can work with who wants to build a good relationship with you so in ten years you'll want to buy your next stove there... and in the meanwhile you'll be telling all your friends how great dealer X is. If they don't want to take care of you, please, tell us who they are so we can steer clear.

Thanks for the responses, guys.....I sent a letter to Harman explaining the situation and am awaiting a response. Hopefully they agree that a dealer can make or break their customer relationships, and its important that these relationships are good. Whenever I get an answer I'll post it here.

mrlee said:
Thanks for the responses, guys.....I sent a letter to Harman explaining the situation and am awaiting a response. Hopefully they agree that a dealer can make or break their customer relationships, and its important that these relationships are good. Whenever I get an answer I'll post it here.

Where are you located in NY?
We're in Albany & have Harman factory trained service techs if you need us

Well, got some good news today.....the dealer called and said Harman called them in reference to the email they received from me. My part will be replaced free of charge! Thanks to Harman for doing the right thing, after 2 stove purchases I guess I'll still be a loyal customer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.