Harman cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Sitting here in the living room during the latest round of cold, blustery winter weather and ordering if the temps will warm up enough to clean my stove tomorrow. Got to thinking that tomorrow may be the day to do a full cleaning, so here's my question.

What's the best way to clean the distribution blower on a Harman pA61A? I've gotten in behind the stove with the shop vac before but was thinking I should do more. So what say you all ?

There is about a 10 minute or maybe longer video on Youtube that shows how to strip the harmon stove down and clean it. The guy does it outside but I imagine it can be done inside too. This was very interesting as he literally takes that stove apart to clean every nook and cranny. If you're interested go to Youtube and search Harmon Pellet stove, and look for the cleaning video. The guy covers every aspect of it step by step.

I've watched the video b4, I don't recall him doing the distance blower though.

the easiest way Ive found is to just pull the blower off the stove and clean it.....two bolts, and you'll need a socket extension.

On my Quadrafire MT Vernon I thought it was somewhat of a task to dig the convection blower out. I did it last summer. Got it off and hit it with compressed air from my air compressor. I then got a tool that is used to pick out the meat in walnuts. It's kind of contoured and sharp but not sharp enough to damage the plastic fins. I used that to scrape what the air didn't remove. then I got some qtips with some hot water and Dawn dish detergent. It all worked pretty good. Not looking forward to doing it again, as I have to pull my stove off the pad and away from the wall to get to it. Should have been a better design.

Lousyweather said:
the easiest way Ive found is to just pull the blower off the stove and clean it.....two bolts, and you'll need a socket extension.

+1

Lousyweather said:

When you say take the blower off, do you mean the cover ? I've seen the screws you are talking about but have never taken them off. I can't imagine you actually mean that I should disconnect the blower from the stove, or do you???

Thanks!

Bigjim13 said:
Lousyweather said:

When you say take the blower off, do you mean the cover ? I've seen the screws you are talking about but have never taken them off. I can't imagine you actually mean that I should disconnect the blower from the stove, or do you???

Thanks!

I mean you unbolt the blower from the stove body, take it off, and clean it.....really not that difficult.......of course, you will have to go through the task of removing the right fan shield (facing the front of the stove)....I think thats all of 3 screws......here's an idea! While youre back there, clean out the fines chamber too.....both should be done once a year.....woefully few people actually do.....

Lousyweather said:
Bigjim13 said:
Lousyweather said:

Thanks!

I mean you unbolt the blower from the stove body, take it off, and clean it.....really not that difficult.......of course, you will have to go through the task of removing the right fan shield (facing the front of the stove)....I think thats all of 3 screws......here's an idea! While youre back there, clean out the fines chamber too.....both should be done once a year.....woefully few people actually do.....

Yeah, I've cleaned the fines chamber twice this year. I found out about it last year and clean it 2 or 3 times a year when I do my full cleaning. This is the 3rd season with my stove and each year I find something new to clean!

Lousyweather said:

So far Shop Vac from the left side.
I think I'll try this next time! (Removing Blower)
Trying to clean it from the other side is a bear! Ours is a corner install
which makes access even more challenging!

lessoil said:
Lousyweather said:
I think I'll try this next time!
Trying to clean it from the other side is a bear! Ours is a corner install
which makes access even more challenging!

Yeah, ours is installed in an old fireplace where there was a propane stove. It can be a bit tough to get behind the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.