Harman Coal/Wood Furnace -- Model? Fire Brick? etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetoric

Oct 12, 2006
Western NY
We have a "Dual Fuel" "Spiral Flame" Harman forced air furnace in our basement that we've never used. Previous owner had a chimney fire and never used it after that (though he had a stainless steel flue installed in the chimney after the fire).

I've been a long time wood burner (Englander upstairs) but I'm sick of chopping wood and want to try burning coal. Previous owner burned both wood and coal in the Harman.

I cleaned the birds nests out of the flue, put new fire brick in the box, cleaned it up, and I'm about ready to burn.

However, I can't tell what model it is! The manuals on line don't specify and there is no name plate, as far as I can tell. I wondered if maybe the size of the firebox might be an indicator. the 1500, 2500, etc. all look the same (and basically, like mine).

My other question is, is there supposed to be fire brick under the ash pan? The pan does kind of drop down once you slide it in, and I figured it's either designed that way, or the pan is supposed to be sitting on brick.

Thanks!

We have a "Dual Fuel" "Spiral Flame" Harman forced air furnace in our basement that we've never used. Previous owner had a chimney fire and never used it after that (though he had a stainless steel flue installed in the chimney after the fire).

I've been a long time wood burner (Englander upstairs) but I'm sick of chopping wood and want to try burning coal. Previous owner burned both wood and coal in the Harman.

I cleaned the birds nests out of the flue, put new fire brick in the box, cleaned it up, and I'm about ready to burn.

However, I can't tell what model it is! The manuals on line don't specify and there is no name plate, as far as I can tell. I wondered if maybe the size of the firebox might be an indicator. the 1500, 2500, etc. all look the same (and basically, like mine).

My other question is, is there supposed to be fire brick under the ash pan? The pan does kind of drop down once you slide it in, and I figured it's either designed that way, or the pan is supposed to be sitting on brick.

Thanks!

I think it's the 2500. The firebox is 24 inches deep and the 1500 is said to take 18 inch logs and the 2500 takes 22 inch. Still it would be nice to know about the brick on the bottom. Thanks.

http://northeasternfireplace.com/he...s-central-heating-appliances/coal-multi-fuel/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.