Harman creosote issue and stove "just stopped running". visual aids included.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I get a service call request for some creosote build up and a report the stove "just stopped working, last season". I go over and this is what I find. You be the tech and tell me the problem, hint there is a picture so it kinda directs you where to look (it is not a hopper issue).

Eric

Attachments

• Harman blocked45.JPG
    Harman blocked45.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 531
How could any stove get that bad, oh, I see a Harman.

Reactions: smoke show
hey, I call foul here! I bet the dealer didnt TELL them to clean the outlet! Therefor, it doesnt need to be cleaned, or, if it does, its not THEIR fault! And since its not THEIR fault, they arent paying for the service! (Youre, the dealer, right, Eric?)

I bet they forgot to sprinkle some some pellet stove cleaner on the pellets each time they filled the hopper.. yep.. can't forget that.

That reminds me.. I need to stop and get some headlight fluid for my car after work. it's running low.

blasted stove gnomes....have they no shame?

I get a service call request for some creosote build up and a report the stove "just stopped working, last season". I go over and this is what I find. You be the tech and tell me the problem, hint there is a picture so it kinda directs you where to look (it is not a hopper issue).

Eric
One word......WOW

Clean the ESP and it will start right up.

That whole air flow thing might be an issue but yes the esp and airflow makes the stove happy.

Eric

Not to be obtuse, but is there something specific that causes creditor buildup like that it is it just a general lack of cleaning?

FWIW I can't imagine spending the money for a stove and then not taking care if it!

Wow, we clean ours before the technician comes to service it every year. Same thinking as vacuuming before the house cleaner arrives...except we're the house cleaners.

Not to be obtuse, but is there something specific that causes creditor buildup like that it is it just a general lack of cleaning?

FWIW I can't imagine spending the money for a stove and then not taking care if it!

Too much fuel for the air flow provided.

Soot will start reducing the airflow as soon as a fire starts burning, once the airflow/fuel mixture can't be adjusted to compensate the stove starts producing creosote.

Since in a Harman the ESP controls the feed and air flow after awhile the soot on the esp all by itself can cause the stove to burn funny but the problem doesn't have to start with what is in the exhaust path it can start anyplace there is a gasket that is worn or if the door is not shutting tightly.

All pellet stoves (not just Harmans[one must keep Defiant happy]) will do this once the air fuel mixture gets out of whack.

Reactions: Defiant

Soot will start reducing the airflow as soon as a fire starts burning, once the airflow/fuel mixture can't be adjusted to compensate the stove starts producing creosote.

Since in a Harman the ESP controls the feed and air flow after awhile the soot on the esp all by itself can cause the stove to burn funny but the problem doesn't have to start with what is in the exhaust path it can start anyplace there is a gasket that is worn or if the door is not shutting tightly.

All pellet stoves (not just Harmons) will do this once the air fuel mixture gets out of whack.
Come on, you spelled it correctly the first time;)
Great info anyway:cool:

Wow, we clean ours before the technician comes to service it every year. Same thinking as vacuuming before the house cleaner arrives...except we're the house cleaners.

A lot of us here will clean the stove more than once a season.

Was that just the outlet or was the whole vent (at least any horizontal) plugged too? I wonder how many tons it takes to get like that. One ton through mine and it only builds up about 1/8" on the vent and outlet sides.

All pellet stoves (not just Harmans[one must keep Defiant happy]) will do this once the air fuel mixture gets out of whack.
so by never cleaning the ESP it caused that stove to do that? Do I understand that correctly?

so by never cleaning the ESP it caused that stove to do that? Do I understand that correctly?

That could have been but one possible cause, but that is not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that that black crap is caused by too much fuel for the combustion air available and that can be caused by a number of things not all of which are at the back end of the burn process.

Holy Chit! ! Thats gotta be a couple / several years worth!

Well, it lasted that long. Surprised it didnt end up on CL for $2,500 (barely used ;))

Reactions: gbreda and Defiant

I could be wrong but that stove looks like it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time...meaning more than one season. It doesn't appear to be a airflow issue to me...just an extreme lack of maintenance. As you say, Harmans automatically adjust the airflow. I never have any creosote in that part of my P61A, just fly ash.

I could be wrong but that stove looks like it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time...meaning more than one season. It doesn't appear to be a airflow issue to me...just an extreme lack of maintenance. As you say, Harmans automatically adjust the airflow. I never have any creosote in that part of my P61A, just fly ash.

X2. I burn close to 5 tons a year, and it would take multiple years to get mine looking that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.