Harman,damper / air flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

park4019

Nov 27, 2012
Southeastern Ma.
I have two Harman pellet stoves, a P38, & a P43. Both, at times, operate with a lazy flame. I have read articles, about air flow control, with a damper, or air flow control rod. Usually the type or manufacturer of the stove is not mentioned. Can any one shed light on how to correct lazy flame, in a Harman stove ?

Well, the clue here is your comment "at times" it has a lazy flame. Are these "times" when it needs cleaning,or the pot needs scraping etc. You also can take a meter reading of your outlet voltage when the stove is running normally, then again when it has this lazy flame and notice the difference in voltage if any. If it is not a varying voltage then that sort of eliminates a low voltage situation affecting the combustion blower speed. Also, if you had a mechanical failure like door gaskets the flame would be lazy but it probably wouldn't be intermittent.

When my P61 exhibits a lazy flame , it's usually a good indication that I need to clean out the ash under the burn pot or I need to do a better job at scraping off the burn pot or else do it more frequently. Sometimes brushing out the vent can perk things up but I keep a time reference as to when that should be approaching.

Other manufactures use a slide in the exhuast but liittle to no speed control of the exhaust fan. Also most manufactures don't have a exhaust temp probe that helps control the feed rate.
Have you ever tested the amount of vacuum when the stove is running at the test port on the bottom left side of the fire chamber? There is a adjustment for draft fan on the board. Pretty limited in my experience.

Last edited:
Well, the clue here is your comment "at times" it has a lazy flame. Are these "times" when it needs cleaning,or the pot needs scraping etc. You also can take a meter reading of your outlet voltage when the stove is running normally, then again when it has this lazy flame and notice the difference in voltage if any. If it is not a varying voltage then that sort of eliminates a low voltage situation affecting the combustion blower speed. Also, if you had a mechanical failure like door gaskets the flame would be lazy but it probably wouldn't be intermittent.

When my P61 exhibits a lazy flame , it's usually a good indication that I need to clean out the ash under the burn pot or I need to do a better job at scraping off the burn pot or else do it more frequently. Sometimes brushing out the vent can perk things up but I keep a time reference as to when that should be approaching.
The last lazy flame burn, happened shortly after I had given it a pretty thorough cleaning prior to season start up. The one thing I didn't check was condition of door gaskets, with a piece of paper. Also, haven't checked line voltage. Thanks for the suggestions, will give it another cleaning, check voltage, & door gaskets. Both stoves are well over 19 years old. Love my Harman's
park4019

Other manufactures use a slide in the exhuast but liittle to no speed control of the exhaust fan. Also most manufactures don't have a exhaust temp probe that helps control the feed rate.
Have you ever tested the amount of vacuum when the stove is running at the test port on the bottom left side of the fire chamber? There is a adjustment for draft fan on the board. Pretty limited in my experience.
Can a automotive type vacuum gauge be used to test operating vacuum , or do I need a magnehelic gauge ? Thanks for the suggestions !
park4019

A piece of clear silicone tubing, a bit of colored water and a ruler will do. Examples are on youtube. We are measuring a very low amount of vacuum.
Normal is -.50 to -.60 of water.

page from Harman manual about draft adjustment

Attachments

• scan0036.pdf
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,633
Status
Not open for further replies.