Harman Delayed Orders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again it's a local market, but if your comparative costs is oil at $4.50 per gal and pellets at $235 per ton you'll be saving over 55% using pellets this season. Just remember the cost of your stove, installation including pipes and your labor of maintaining your stove and storing the pellets.

Most comparisons I hear are the "best case" scenarios. I have learned that, in the real world, this is rarely the case. Most pellet stoves do not produce the efficiency advertised. As a for instance, a pellet insert MAY have a delivered efficiency of 60 or 65%. When you go and pick up 4 bags at Lowes you might use a gallon or more of gas getting there and back......many people cannot easily sling 40 Lb bags around, etc. etc.

Heating oil in Portland ME is now under $3.50. I suppose this kind of pricing will follow in most oil markets with competition. The best case general comparison is to just move the decimal point.....

$350 pellets = $3.50 oil

There are always exceptions both ways - up and down. But for really saving money over oil in the long run, a difference of 40% or more would be nice - that being pellets at $210 if oil was $3.50, etc.

And $210 WAS the average price earlier in the season - AND still in most parts of the country other than the Northeast.

Yes, a person with little money can pick up a few bags of pellets, but that is only if they have the thousands already invested in a pellet stove and installation. Maybe I'm out of touch since I haven't been poor in about 25+ years, but when I was broke there is NO WAY I could have come up with even $1,000 to get a stove. (figuring inflation, that might have been the price way back when). Heck, it took me years of laboring as a carpenter and remodeling contractor to save up for a used car!

Craig your points are well taken. Firstly I do live in the Northeast, and love it here. I'm fortunate to say I can spend a few thousand $'s
to realize a payback in a reasonable time. I do think pellet mills and dealers are taking advantage of this market. I think there's plenty of supply available, it's just pellet suppliers and vendors are gouging, but over time this should self correct as new enterprises enter the marketplace. But to get back to the point I can save over 50% on my heating bill even considering these unjustly prices of pellets. I know what oil cost in my area, and I know how many gals I would need to keep my family comfortable.

I do have compassion for those who don't have the financial resources to keep their families comfortable this winter utilizing oil or pellets and pray for them. We can get into a lengthy discussion about what the Government should do for them, but I was just trying to compare the cost of heating a home with wood pellets vs oil and comparing the advantages and disadvantages of both fuels.

Craig and Steve's comments are both very well taken. I like that moving the decimal point thing. That seems to make sense and cover hidden costs. I do not and never have taken my labour into consideration on any of my projects around the home. Sweat equity and that's it. My labour of lugging pellets is a continuation of that and darn good exercise at that. :) I too pray for these people that face such odds this winter. Such a tough situation.

Mr. Jitters have faith, I was told my P68A would not be in until Sept-Oct and just got a call from my deal Friday that it's in, I'm headed over Wednesday to pick it up. My problem is that I ordered NEWPs from Lavalleys and now the darn pellet mill burned down. Maybe I can rent some pellets from you until you get your stove?

mascoma said:
Mr. Jitters have faith, I was told my P68A would not be in until Sept-Oct and just got a call from my deal Friday that it's in, I'm headed over Wednesday to pick it up. My problem is that I ordered NEWPs from Lavalleys and now the darn pellet mill burned down. Maybe I can rent some pellets from you until you get your stove?

If you do not mind me asking, which dealer did you order your P68A from and when did you order it. I'm trying to put a timeline together and this info would help me greatly.

MrJ Pellet Rental: $.01 per pellet. ;-)

Its quite interesting seeing all the cost comparisons for Oil against Pellets. But as Craig and many other posters have said a few times, Buying a Pellet stove is not just for this season.Its a long term investment. I for one dont believe things are going to get any easier with Oil in the coming years, so My purchase of a Pellet stove is not based just on current prices.(Although its what pushed me over the edge).I made a big mistake Two years back when I decided not to persue a stove then, because Oil was still cheapish and the cost comparison didnt look so good to me.
:red:

camdids said:
Its quite interesting seeing all the cost comparisons for Oil against Pellets. But as Craig and many other posters have said a few times, Buying a Pellet stove is not just for this season.Its a long term investment. I for one dont believe things are going to get any easier with Oil in the coming years, so My purchase of a Pellet stove is not based just on current prices.(Although its what pushed me over the edge).I made a big mistake Two years back when I decided not to persue a stove then, because Oil was still cheapish and the cost comparison didnt look so good to me.
:red:

+1 on that. My sentiments exactly.

MrJitters said:
mascoma said:

If you do not mind me asking, which dealer did you order your P68A from and when did you order it. I'm trying to put a timeline together and this info would help me greatly.

MrJ Pellet Rental: $.01 per pellet. ;-)

I ordered stove from Upper Valley Stove Co., the first week of June. At the time they told me it was already on order for stock due Mid July.

I just talked to my Harman dealer scheduling the yearly maintenance on the TL-300 along with a chimney clean and found out he still has pellet stoves in stock.

In my area the run has been on wood stoves the TL-300 has been selling like hot cakes, so much so he had to even sell the floor unit.

PM me if you would want his number
Note: I do not know what he has in stock all I know he does have some Harman pellet stoves, I also do not know if he would ship a stove. I am just passing along the info as an FYI.

As for the dealer I would rate him a A+ dealer, no where near the dealers I have been hearing about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.