Harman Draft Test??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
Having my P43 installed this week. Looking through the manual and saw the section on low draft voltage adjustment. Is this draft test mandatory?

I wouldn't say it's mandatory but definately recommended.your installer should have a magnahelic gauge like the one in the pic and can adjust the stove to the harman recommended draft. I will say that when I spoke to my local harman dealer they Said they never use this and adjust by eye. These can be had for cheap money on eBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: Lake Girl
Adjust by eye!:rolleyes: If draft too low,stove will burn dirty.If draft too high,will waste much heat up/out the pipe(but glass will stay amazingly clean).I recommend having it checked.

Adjust by eye!:rolleyes: If draft too low,stove will burn dirty.If draft too high,will waste much heat up/out the pipe(but glass will stay amazingly clean).I recommend having it checked.
I was surprised to hear that from the dealer too. Having said that, I've probably bought and sold at lest 10 harman a in the past 2 yrs and all were still set to 0 on the low draft so when they were installed my guess is that they were never dialed in

Hey guys I have an accentra insert never hooked up a gauge how do I go about doing it. I don't have any issues just want to check the draft

Hey guys I have an accentra insert never hooked up a gauge how do I go about doing it. I don't have any issues just want to check the draft
Shows how in manual,except if yours shows using a plug,is easier to put a t fitting inline with the vacuum switch.

Having my P43 installed this week. Looking through the manual and saw the section on low draft voltage adjustment. Is this draft test mandatory?
One thing about setting the draft is that not all pellets burn the same. In my case is that overall I had a blow torch three forks of white tipped flame with most pellets that I burned ( i attributed that to slight over drafting with my 23 ft 4" vertical rise liner). I just marked where the draft screw was set and turned it down a 1/4 turn till the tips started burning more like a flame than a blow torch.The pellets settled down a little too. If you go too far it will begin to soot up the fire brick ( the p61 has fire brick), so just turn it back up a bit. It's not rocket science, it's just a little screw but the key is to definitely mark the starting point so you can get back there if need be..

I'm burning Fireside Ultra right now, that screw could go up just a touch with these. It's perfect where it is at with LG pellets.

I was surprised to hear that from the dealer too. Having said that, I've probably bought and sold at lest 10 harman a in the past 2 yrs and all were still set to 0 on the low draft so when they were installed my guess is that they were never dialed in
How are you able to see it is set to "0"?

Adjusted my P61A by eye, data collection, and heat output. Took about 24 hours to get it perfect. It's basically almost off. My existing wood stove chimney has a ton of up-draft when warm.

From what I have seen, most are set way too high. Excessive pellet consumption, less stove heat into the room (more up the pipe), and a much more ashy stove interior from excessive flying embers.

How are you able to see it is set to "0"?
I have one of the Harman diognostic tool(DDM)which gives digital readout. They're not cheap. I was fortunate enough to see one for sale on Craigslist and only paid $50 for it

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Thanks I'll check the manual I let you know how it went once I get it figured out

I think the point is, you can get a good idea by looking at the flame, and adjusting accordingly...
Like Alternative mentioned...
If it's off some, it's not like you are burning an extra bag a day...
Not a night and day difference... just getting the very most out of it.

Dan

Reactions: Cory S
I just saw your post and googled your subject line for my xxv...I found a pretty good response that comes from Harman and I had no idea what the
"screw" was for on the pane.

Thanks! Do a quick search for your stove. This is what I found...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/621185/Harman-Xxv.html?page=20

Status
Not open for further replies.