Harman ESP probe Black To Red upgrade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I was pondering whether it was prudent to upgrade the old P61a black wire thermistor to the new low voltage red wire thermistor?

On the new dip switch circuit boards, dip switch 5 is down for the old probes and up for the new Red ESP probe.

Does anyone know the failure rate of Black wire probes VS Red wire probes? I just replaced a red wire probe the other day on an Accentra Insert. A damp environment causing the probe to rust can be more toxic for the little guy and decreases sensitivity.

Since the new red probe is lower voltage over the same gauge and length wires that means more resistance to deal with. E=IR

Sure it is twisted pair to prevent interference from planes and radio towers.

Newer stoves come with the Red Wire probe.
Any difference in performance if they use the Black wire probe?

The old production stoves that come with the Black wire ESP are:
Accentra Cast FS (Pre Serial # 00840167)
Accentra Insert (Pre Serial # 008241201)
Advance (Pre Serial # 008360001)
Invincible Insert
Invincible
RSP38
Pellet Pro Plus (P38 +)
P61 (Pre Serial # 008085055)
P61A (Pre Serial # 008085803)
P68 (Pre Serial # 008280309)
PC45 (Pre Serial # 008055031)
PF100 (Black Wires)
XXV (Pre Serial # 008206292)

See pics below. Click to Enlarge.

Attachments

• ESPprobesFront.JPG
    ESPprobesFront.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 577
  • ESPprobesBack.JPG
    ESPprobesBack.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Hello

Below is a pic of the bad Harman Red ESP probe that I replaced on the Harman Accentra Insert. It does not look that bad but a new one fixed the problem with the distribution blower not turning off.
Therefore my mind is made up, I am staying with the black wire ESP probe and if I ever need one, I will buy another black wire ESP probe.

Attachments

• BdREDespProbe.JPG
    BdREDespProbe.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 490
cant say as I see much of a difference in the failure rates of the two.....most failures seem to be due to folks not realizing the probe is there and bending it while cleaning the stove.......

oh, and make sure you have the switch block on your CB....really old CB's didn't even have them......if no switch block, ya can only use the black wire probe.

oh, and make sure you have the switch block on your CB....really old CB's didn't even have them......if no switch block, ya can only use the black wire probe.

Thanks for your comments LW. The Red probe I replaced because the room blower (Distribution blower as the harman guys call it! LOL) would not shut down. If I cleaned the rust off with a wire wheel would that make it work more constantly? Anyway, Last year when I cleaned the probe it took care of the problem until about last spring. Giving the history here, I thought it warranted replacement of the red wire probe. Since the blower did shut down properly from time to time after I cleaned it this year, I did not think it was the circuit board.

When I put in the Auto Ignition Upgrade on the P61 manual stove I got, the default on the CB was up for red. So when I tried to fire up the stove it just would not work! So the stove remembered for me that Dip Switch 5 was not down for black wire. LOL ! ! !

if your stove isnt shutting down you either have a bad controller...most likely or you have an igniter that is staying on...also a sign of a bad controller but could also be wired wrong.

Which auto ignition upgrade kit did you use on the Harman Invincible RS insert?

Which auto ignition upgrade kit did you use on the Harman Invincible RS insert?
I used a p43 wiring harness, xxv burn pot and an igniter and carriage from an advance. The RS was only freestanding afaik, my controller is left side, RS stands for right side.

I used a p43 wiring harness, xxv burn pot and an igniter and carriage from an advance. The RS was only freestanding afaik, my controller is left side, RS stands for right side.

Cool, what did you do for a control board?

Status
Not open for further replies.