Harman Exception insert install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmer

Apr 12, 2007
Hi, I'm new to this site, but after browsing around a bit, it's clear that this is the place to get a question answered. I have been considering putting in the Harman exception fireplace insert. My current setup is a zero-clearance fireplace with what I believe is a fully lined chimney. My question is how much would it involve to replace the fireplace with the insert? Does the chimney lining have to be replaced? Is this a job I could consider perfoming on my own? My home was built in 1995 if that gives you any help. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

pharmer said:
My current setup is a zero-clearance fireplace with what I believe is a fully lined chimney. My question is how much would it involve to replace the fireplace with the insert? Does the chimney lining have to be replaced? Is this a job I could consider perfoming on my own?

Page 13 of the owners manual states the following:

Zero Clearance Fireplace Requirements
These are factory bulit insulated metal fireplaces
that are usually framed into the wall with lumber. The
term, "Zero Clearance" refers to the fact that wood framing
material can be in contact with the outer shell of the
unit.
1. The chimney must be at least 15 feet high but not
more than 33 feet high.
2. The chimney must have a stainless steel liner.
3. The entire fireplace and chimney must be clean and
in good condition. Any damage must be repaired
before installing the insert.
4. The fireplace and chimney must meet local building
codes.
5. Must line chimney all the way to the top.
6. The smoke shelf, internal baffles, damper and glass
or metal doors may be removed as necessary.
7. Internal parts such as refractory linings (firebricks),
insulation, firebox walls or door frames may not be
removed or altered.

Zero Clearance Fireplace Installation
The first step is to take careful measurements to be
sure the insert will fit into fireplace. It is required that
zero clearance installations be lined to the top of the chimney.
The liner can be rigid or flexible with a chimney cap
and top sealing plate installed. The liner should be stainless
steel and listed to UL-1777.
Chimney Liner

http://www.harmanstoves.com/doc/exceptioninsertm.pdf

Thanks for the response. I've done some further research and it seems I have "s series" type chimney flue. This doesn't mean much to me, but I'm sure someone here can help me. Thanks again for your time.

You cant replace a ZC firebox with an Insert. You can only INSERT an insert into it. The ZC fireplace I doubt has a "liner", usually it is a prefab steel chimney system. In most cases it is larger than the flue size of the insert. At our shop we always drop a 6" liner down the old prefab chimney, might not be always needed though.

first of all read the manual know what is required to make the installation see if it is within you skill abilities. Then do you have or can you borrow a magnaholic draft reading gage. it is required to adjust the draft to the line ci urrent to i opperate correctly also that choi imney probably will require it to be lully lined and you possibly need to connect ot outside air

Status
Not open for further replies.